PDA

View Full Version : Pre 2011 Hammer A3-31

Tim Hibler
09-08-2013, 1:55 AM
Does anyone have or know of any problems with the slightly older Hammer A3-31 that have the butterfly hinges for the tables? I believe the butterfly hinge was replaced on the 2011 model.

What other changes did they do in 2011 and were they significant?

I'm looking at buying a used one.

Thanks.

David Hawxhurst
09-08-2013, 9:14 AM
i have a pre 2011 and have no problems with it. it has held alignment since set up. the biggest change for the new style was the single table lift (it has some sort of helper so it feels much lighter than a single table on the earlier models). the second biggest change was the fence. some complained that the pre 2011 fence was to flexible when press hard against it, the flex does not change the angle of the fence to table. a quick fix is use a mag switch behind the end of the fence on the out feed side. the post 2011 fence mount a bit differently and i believe it has a center support/mount that eliminates the minor flex issue of the pre 2011.

Mark Carlson
09-08-2013, 11:43 AM
I have a pre 2011 and agree with what David said.

~mark

Tony Rodoracio
09-08-2013, 11:58 AM
I have the same A3-31 and can verify it is a good machine. My only issue was that the fence was very slightly concave from top to bottom but it was an easy fix. I am however getting ready to sell mine, only because I have been made aware of a used Felder J/P that I wanted to begin with but could not afford. If that had not come up I would gladly keep the A3-31.