PDA

View Full Version : aztec calendar

stan kern
09-07-2013, 6:34 PM
lasering an aztec calendar ,quite complicated diagram but worked out ok ,took a few attempts

http://youtu.be/bRq9O87ZhFE
I have never done something so complex before and it was hard with a few messed up attempts

David Rust
09-07-2013, 11:06 PM
Nice work Stan,

What is the diameter?

Scott Shepherd
09-08-2013, 2:52 PM
Looks nice Stan! Any reason you didn't raster engrave it? Curious as to why you vector marked it all. No right or wrong, just curious.

Keith Outten
09-08-2013, 3:04 PM
Stan,

Nice work on the calendar and I noticed that you must have over a hundred videos on You Tube. Lots of CNC and Laser Engraving videos that are very informative, thanks for all the work you put into these and for sharing them.

stan kern
09-08-2013, 3:31 PM
you are welcome ,i have a hugh passion for the 2 cnc machines and i am retired and have the time to dedicate to learning and showing
I'm always experimenting

stan kern
09-08-2013, 3:40 PM
its 10 in dia.
I did find the file hard to handle (*.dxf),i downloaded it and when i loaded it into laser cut and did a simulation to check on just how much time it would take it
would take I saw these strikes or tool paths way off to the x or y diestion outside the bounds of the work piece.Sure enough into the cut or burn 7 min
the laser takes off and hits a y limit hard enough that upon return the diagram is now off ,tried this a few more times and it kept doing it (y or x runing my work piece)
I then got a newer copy of the file ran it through corel (reducing the nodes)(resizing it ) and trying it again.Once i even had runouit of laser memory and it would not load.
This was the toughtest project i have taken on.
And i am not sure why yet,would like to try it 20 in x 20 in but i might be pressing my luck

stan kern
09-08-2013, 3:41 PM
I prefer what i call a scribe cut ,i cut it just enough to really mark it ,looks like black ink not a burn
I should try a raster engrave ,vut i seem to really go for the scribe or light burn cut.

stan kern
09-08-2013, 3:45 PM
everyone:
I had quite a time with this file ,seems like one can hit the limit to what the laser memory can hold as i bumped into that a few times .
Secondy the file was hugh and i found the lasercut really paused at it.One file i ran the simulator and it showed the head going out of bounds
so on a 16 in run the head was hit the stops ,my table is 24x36.I do not know what generated the path but i soon got rid that file
This project took a lot of time seems i was pushing everything on the laser settings,but i like it

Ray Mighells
09-08-2013, 10:23 PM
I did that on 12x12 marble and granite, also did one on Black Cherry 19" dia on my 12x24 epilog. did it in halves and glued them together. Posted pics a few yrs ago, I think they are in my Picture Trail albums if you care to look. Someone on the forum did a big one with a CNC router back then too. Mine were all raster, have done lots of coasters and trivets. Put 6 of those 3.85" dia on one file and they take a long time to load.

Dennis Watson
09-24-2013, 8:44 AM
I did this file yesterday and the only problem I had was a few circles would not burn. The laser went thru the motions, but wasn't firing.
I am sure that if I re-drawed all of those circles it would work, but good grief.

Chuck Stone
09-24-2013, 7:15 PM
When I did it, I rastered it in Corian and made a silicone mold of it.
Then poured black resin with powdered bronze in it. Buffed it out
with steel wool, so it looks like a bronze plaque. Can't tell from this
pic, which had the plaque laying on the scanner, but the bronze can
come up with a high luster if you use 0000 steel wool.
Fun project.. don't think I'd do another one though..

Mike Chance in Iowa
09-25-2013, 2:57 PM
Beautiful work Chuck. While you mentioned it fit on the scanner, what size was that project?

Vicki Rivrud
09-25-2013, 7:36 PM
wow, Chuck, that looks great. I'll have to try your technique! Vicki

Chuck Stone
09-25-2013, 10:34 PM
Beautiful work Chuck. While you mentioned it fit on the scanner, what size was that project?

I think I did it at 12" .. had to scan twice and stitch it together