PDA

View Full Version : Makita cordless chuck removal

larry Pack
09-07-2013, 5:19 PM
I have a Makita 18V LXFD01 cordless drill with a chuck problem. I picked it up today and one of the jaws is sticking out 1/4" beyond the others. I tried lightly tapping it in then more forcefully and it did not budge. Then I tried removing the chuck first with screwdriver then broke 2 flat head bits trying to turn it (clockwise) with an impact drill. The screw still has a slot but is not looking very good
. I am debating cutting the chuck off with a grinder. but figured I would post here first. Any suggestions?

larry Pack
09-08-2013, 4:54 AM
UPDATE: I priced a new chuck and it is $34, I can buy a new drill, not refurb, for $60 w/free shipping. So I decided I had nothing to lose and put the drill in a vice with the chuck fully open and started hitting the protruding jaw with a punch. Hit it much harder than I ever thought I should and it moved a bit. I continued to hit it and the chuck seems to be OK now. Larry

joseph f merz
09-08-2013, 10:56 AM
glad you fixed it . but to answer question .Use one of those hand impact tools . Also screw turns backwards to normal direction .They tend to have locktight on them and can be a challenge sometimes.