PDA

View Full Version : New to me, used Epilog

Mike Troncalli
09-07-2013, 12:40 PM
All,

I may have a chance to purchase an 8 year old Epilog 30w machine. (Not sure of the model yet). Bed is 12 x 20. The machine is in perfect working condition (I have used it). But I am pretty sure the tube has never been changed but it has very low hours on it. I am in negotiations right now with the seller for about 3 to 4K... I am quite confident that I am getting a good deal, but wanted to find out your thoughts? Do you know if the driver software is a free download from epilog, etc... Things like that.

Thanks in advance.

Tim Drinkwater
09-07-2013, 12:54 PM
I don't know if it's true or not but when I was talking to the Trotec dealer he said that run hours doesn't have much to do with tube life. It's more about the calendar age of the tube. We were talking about the current ceramic core tubes that Trotec uses, others may be different. I don't have any first had experience just relaying what I was told.

Martin Boekers
09-07-2013, 1:23 PM
Tubes are strange some go quickly others last quite a long time..... I have an Epilog Radius from 1998 and it still runs great with the original tube! You can call Epilog with the serial number and they'll tell you what parts have been replaced.

Dave Sheldrake
09-07-2013, 4:12 PM
Get the tube piled Mike, see what the actual output is, that will give some idea of the state of the tube.

cheers

Dave

Mike Troncalli
09-07-2013, 4:26 PM
Ok, going to show my ignorance. What do you mean by "PILED"? Also what about the driver software. Do you know if I have to pay for it or is it a free download? Any other expenses that I am not thinking about? I already have a laser, so I have exhaust, air feed, Corel draw, etc.. I have already seen the machine burn through about 3/8" piece of plywood no problem.. Low burn it looked like a pretty clean cut. Any idea of what a new tube would cost to recharge and or replace? Sorry I don' t have the exact machine specs with me.

Dave Sheldrake
09-07-2013, 5:06 PM
Between $2,000 and $4,000 for a regas Mike, Piled = Thermopiled (power tested)

I have no idea about the software, it's an awefully long time since I had an Epilog :(

cheers

Dave

Dan Hintz
09-07-2013, 5:25 PM
The driver is a free download (as it is with all major western brands... Epilog, ULS, Trotec). Regas on the Epilogs is a bit more than ULS, but not horrible. A 30W should be relatively inexpensive, around the $2k mark, but you should still consider this cost if you're purchasing a used machine without a warranty for the tube.

Joe Pelonio
09-07-2013, 5:47 PM
Seems like a reasonable price, though the wattage and bed size are pretty limiting for someone intending to use it full time for a business. If it's for added capacity to compliment your other machine it could be a good investment. My Epilog 45 Watt is also 8 years old, and I replaced the first tube on warranty in less than a year, the second about a year later. The 3rd tube has been going ever since. There's just no way to tell when it might go out.

Mike Troncalli
09-07-2013, 6:26 PM
Seems like a reasonable price, though the wattage and bed size are pretty limiting for someone intending to use it full time for a business. If it's for added capacity to compliment your other machine it could be a good investment. My Epilog 45 Watt is also 8 years old, and I replaced the first tube on warranty in less than a year, the second about a year later. The 3rd tube has been going ever since. There's just no way to tell when it might go out.

I purchased my Full Spectrum 40w hobby laser just under 2 years ago. I paid right around 2700.00 for it. Even after the purchase of drawing software, new PC, etc. I have already paid for it a couple of times over in engraving profit. I don't run my machine full time, but the engraving size 9.5 x 13 and the max dept of material I can place in the machine (about 2") has limited me to what I can engrave. I am working on a bid right now for a customer to cut out about 200 - 500 pieces of 6mm plywood. I am just afraid that my current machine isn't up to the task. I ran across this deal and figured at about 3 - 4K (have not finalized the price yet) it was to good of a deal to pass up. I know that time VS number of hours on a tube is what is important here, but I do know the machine is in 100% working order and has had low hours on it. I figure even with a regas I am still ahead on $$$...

Dan, thanks for the info on the software..

Dee Gallo
09-07-2013, 6:28 PM
I know everyone here echoes the "more power!" mantra, but personally I have two lower power minis and they do whatever I want them to do. This is a good deal if you know what you want to do with it and understand the limits of size and power. Mine are 6 and 8 years old, on the original tubes, one motherboard fried by lightening but other than that no problems. The oldie I had before these was 15 years old when I sold it to a guy who only wanted to mark small anodized pieces. He paid me the same amount I paid for it (used) 2 years after I used it every day. The history showed it only had one tube replacement at 6 years old, no other repairs.

So my recommendation is to analyze your own needs first. $3k is a good price which you can make back pretty fast.

cheers, dee

Ross Moshinsky
09-07-2013, 8:35 PM
You should find out the cost involved in replacing the tube. Then make a decision if you're comfortable paying $3-4k + the new tube. I doubt you're going to get it much cheaper than $3-4k.

Dave Sheldrake
09-08-2013, 8:26 AM
If your bulk business is engraving Mike maybe a Chinese galvo would be an option? glass CO2 60 watt galvos run from about $6,000 direct from China and will easily outspeed any gantry laser.Limited bed size but speed is incredible!

cheers

Dave

Joe Pelonio
09-08-2013, 9:36 AM
Checking the tube price ahead of time is a good idea, but last time I checked the 45 watt for mine was only $1,100, and I would expect the 30 to be less.

Martin Boekers
09-08-2013, 11:08 AM
have already seen the machine burn through about 3/8" piece of plywood no problem.. Low burn it looked like a pretty clean cut.
If it cuts .375 easily, I'm pretty impressed for 30 watts.... I'd say the tube is good. You can check with these guys as they have been cheaper on tubes than Epilog... although the no longer support Coherent Brand. http://photovaclaser.com/

Mike Troncalli
09-08-2013, 4:47 PM
I miss-typed the thickness of the wood. I meant 3/16 thick... But it still cut right through it. I will check out the recommendations for tube prices as well. I really don't want to go down the "china import" road right now. I know that I could purchase a Rabbit or Hurricane machine and still have local support, but I still think the quality difference between Epilog and one of their re-vamped Chinese machines is too much. I am in a fortunate situation as I have a working machine now, but if I can secure the Epilog at a good price I think it would be a good thing. I'll bet I could re-sell in the future if I had to and still get what I paid for it or more..

Mark Ross
09-11-2013, 11:05 AM
If it is 8 years old, the first thing I would do is get the serial number and model number off the metal plate on the machine and call Epilog. If the machine is no longer supported it isn't worth 3 to 4 dollars. If it is still supported but going towards end of life, where support will be dropped in say a year, well...

Mike Troncalli
09-11-2013, 2:20 PM
Mark,

Thanks for the info. I will do just that... I am still waiting for them to make up their mind if they want to sell it or not. I found out one of their customers purchased a very expensive rotary attachment and made a deal with them to use the laser and her attachment. From what I gather she spent like 2k on the thing and over the last 6 months has only generated about $200.00 which she has to give them a portion of.. I should make a new deal with her and let her use the machine for free if I can use the rotary for free... (limited use of course on both sides). Once again I am in a good position since I don't Really need a new machine.. But don't want to pass up a good potential good deal.