PDA

View Full Version : Humidity and storage questions

Dan Forman
05-29-2005, 1:33 PM
I just got a digital readout hygrometer, as wondering what is a reasonable level of relative humidity to try to maintain in my basement shop. Over the last few days readings have been in the 50 - 60% range. Weather has been mild with no rain. Our typical weather pattern is hot and dry from July to November, grey and damp from then through June. This year has been much dryer than usual, about 30% of normal snowpack in the mountains.

On a related note, I will not have room in the basement to store much lumber, would it cause undue problems to store wood in the spare garage? Again, desert like conditions in summer, frequently 90 degrees or above and dry, coupled with damp wet winters where it is just as likely to rain as snow, and lots of fog. Would these sorts of extremes cause problems in the wood if it was left in the shop to acclimate for a couple of weeks prior to being worked? This would be lumber that is already air or kiln dried, not green. I'm mainly wondering if baking through the summer would cause cracking or other such problems.

Dan

Ian Abraham
05-29-2005, 5:30 PM
Ideally the shop should be the same humidity as your house, whats the humidity like there? I dont believe it's all that critical, but closer is better. Are you having any problems with wood shrinking when it's taken inside? If there is a big difference then a cheapo dehumidifier may help.

The wood should be OK stored in the shed.
As you realise the moisture content of the wood will adjust to whatever it's environment is, and fluctuate with the seasons. So the wood may be at 10% at the end of winter, and 6 % at the end of summer. The speed of change wont be enough to harm if though. A few weeks in the shop should let it settle out to your inside M/C.
Build some decent racks to keep the wood flat and off the floor and you should be fine.

Cheers

Ian

Dan Forman
05-31-2005, 12:46 AM
Left the unit upstairs for a while today, and the difference from main floor to basement is about 20%, with the basement running 55-60% and the main floor at 35-40%. I don't have much in the way of experience to go by, am setting up my first real shop, but my 220 wiring project has suffered a whole series of setbacks, so I still don't have any power down there. :(

I did have a table saw in the garage last summer, one reason I know it gets beastly hot in there! I just did a few plywood projects, so didn't have to worry about expansion issues.

Dan