PDA

View Full Version : Compucarve and sears maintenance agreement

Jerry Bittner
09-07-2013, 10:39 AM
I have the Compucarve -- one of the first an A model. Since been upgraded with the Rock chuck, rubber belts, etc. Extended the original maintenance agreement for one more year and notice that I am entitled to one PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE CHECK-UP.

Anyone have expereince with the checkup? Is it worth the time and trouble having the machine shipped off to wherever Sears does the checkup?

william watts
09-07-2013, 5:47 PM
Not if you have to ship it. I believe that maintenance checks are done in your shop.
Sears likely does not have a tech that is familiar with that machine. I have a Craftsmen lathe, they came to my house and repaired it. It required a new motor/speed control assembly, they replaced the entire head assembly, will worth the cost of the extended warranty, but the maintenance checks were minimal. You are doing better maintenance than you will receive on a maintenance check. To ship it runs the risk of damage.
Bill

Duane Meadows
09-07-2013, 7:48 PM
I agree with Bill, except that your contract will tell you if it is in home or in shop. If in home/shop< Bill is correct it won't be worth the time... the tech will likely not know much about the machine. Tho I worked as a Sears repair tech for 30 years, I am not sure where the CompuCarve goes for service... never had the issue come up!

Trevor Howard
09-09-2013, 12:53 PM
I had one several years ago, B model. I had to send it back to LHR twice. Both times it came back ago. But when I was frequently on the Carewright Forums, there were several posts about damaged in shipping. To me if its working, I wouldn't ship it off. I got real good at cleaning mine which elimanted a lot of issues I had.