PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive dado insert for 22124?

Dan Masshardt
09-07-2013, 8:34 AM
I have a craftsman zip code table saw. I have a stacked dado. But I don't have an insert...yet.

My understanding is that it is the same size as the unisaw.

I can't seem to find the right one from sears.

Does anyone know of an inexpensive source? I'd rather not spend $50 if I don't have to.

I know I could make one but I'd like to find a metal one to start.

$20-$30 would be ideal.

Thanks.

Charles Taylor
09-07-2013, 8:48 AM
When I first needed a dado insert, I made one from 1/2" MDF. Later I got a manufactured insert, but I still reach for the shop-made one most often. (That was for a Delta TS.)

david brum
09-07-2013, 9:41 AM
Agreed that this is a prime opportunity to make a batch of shop-made inserts. I also use 1/2" mdf, although most anything reasonably heavy would probably work. It's really easy:

1) Use the original as a template to trace the outline onto the mdf.
2) Using a jig saw or band saw, roughly cut out the blank ( cut just outside the line).
3) Tape the original to the blank and use a router laminate bit to trim to perfect size.
4) Drill deep, countersunk holes for height adjusting screws. Thread in proper length screws. I use sheet rock screws, nothing fancy.
5) Done.

It doesn't take much more time to make 6 or 8 than a single one, so I usually make a batch. It's nice to have blanks for various dado widths. For example I have labelled 3/8, 1/4, 3/4, etc blanks. I also have a 45 degree insert which is handy when needed.

scott spencer
09-07-2013, 11:10 AM
The Unisaw inserts will fit. I like the phenolic inserts....they're very stiff, and are workable. Buy a blank, and put a narrow dado slit in it....expand it as needed.

$24 - free shipping if you add $1 more in purchases (http://www.amazon.com/Leecraft-DL-1U-Clearance-Insert-Colors/dp/B0000223VB/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378566541&sr=8-1&keywords=phenolic+table+saw+insert)

phil harold
09-07-2013, 11:35 AM
I use plastic cutting boards
you can also add leveling set screws as I did with mine

My solution: go to the Discount Store, and buy a couple of the "plastic" (UHMW) cutting boards. They make *excellent* stock for ZCIs, and seem VERY easy on the machines used to mill and shape them.

And ... couldn't agree more with Chip: make several, at the same time.

Joe Scharle
09-07-2013, 11:42 AM
David's right. The $50 insert slot will be a lot larger than you'll ever need. I use an 8" dado blade to make the initial slot for the 10" blades, but your dado set will start without touching the bottom of the insert. And for safety's sake, you might want to clamp a board across the insert for the first slot making cut.
I just hold a 2 X 4 across the insert, but you didn't hear that from me!

I paint mine red too! And I use 1/4 X 3/8 set screws.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/194/Inserts_Handles_001.JPG

glenn bradley
09-07-2013, 12:21 PM
Why a metal one? These are wear parts that you will replace as they get too far gone to do their job. Making a dozen is only slightly more effort than making one; setup is where all the effort is. You can use double stick tape or just screw your original (an old ZCI shown in the pic) as a template. Your set screw holes will go where the screws go so no harm there. With a batch you can have one for 1/2" dados, 5/8" dados, etc. I write the purpose on the underside with felt pen for quick reference.

Dan Masshardt
09-07-2013, 1:56 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. Looks like making my own it is. I'll try some different materials and see what I like best.

Ronald Blue
09-07-2013, 3:48 PM
I just made some zci's for my Craftsman contractor saw last week. I just used some white wood. Probably fir or pine. I am pleased with them. The dado was what I initially wanted it for and it worked very well. I used a similar method to what was suggested for the ripping 10" blade. Since the blade doesn't quite get low enough to start with it seated fully I held the end closest to the front firmly in place and raised the blade for the initial starting cut. I then seated them and finished the cuts. I just ran them through the planer to get to the correct thickness and sawed out on the band saw. They fit snug and required just a little adjusting at the sander to get the desired fit. I don't think you would be any happier with zci's that you buy. However if you were to go that way Peachtree probably has the best price and likely the one you need.

scott spencer
09-07-2013, 5:26 PM
If you make your own, it's important that the material is strong and stiff. I'd try to avoid Lexan, plexiglass, or UHMW plastic that's too thin....they're more likely to flex or warp or both. Reinforce the bottom if necessary.

Rich Engelhardt
09-08-2013, 7:06 AM
Jump right in and just make a bunch.
It's easy & it doesn't take much more time to make a dozen than it takes to make one.
Here's the batch I made out of 1/2" MDF