PDA

View Full Version : weight of unisaw

Michael Weber
09-06-2013, 5:06 PM
Getting mine back together after dis-assembly/cleaning/repair/painting. It's an 87 model 3hp single phase motor with only one side extension table and a 30 inch uni-fence. Has the magnetic starter. Any right side router table/extension will have it's own base. I'd like it on a base just for the occasional short move. Anyone know the approximate weight of the saw configured as above? Trying to determine if an existing base I have will support the beast. Thanks

Ethan Melad
09-06-2013, 7:31 PM
My unisaw (older, probably from the 60's) is actually pretty light. I can carry the top - with 2 extensions and an attached laminate extension - by myself, so it's probably not more than 125 lbs. or maybe i'm just stronger than i think i am...
the base is pretty easily lifted on its own, too, its just too large to pick up easily. I'd guess the entire saw's somewhere around 250 lbs.
that said, i bet you could easily google the specs.

edit: amazon says a new unisaw with larger table and longer fence rail is over 600lbs. mine's nowhere near that.
edit 2: google found one from '85 that was auctioned - auctioneer put weight at 368lbs.
guess its a slow night tonight...

Michael Weber
09-06-2013, 9:42 PM
Thanks, I found the weight for the new ones. Went through pages of Google results and didn't find anything for the older ones. Guess I'll just put it on the base (it's rated 400 pounds max) and see what happens. Have to assemble it though and was hoping to avoid that if it wasn't going to do the job.

Bill Geibe
09-07-2013, 12:46 AM
Mike,

I have a '79 Unisaw and I'm thinking they weigh about 400 lbs depending on the motor. The old RI motors were pretty heavy but if you have a more modern single phase capacitor start it would keep the weight down. You have only one extension table so that keeps the weight down, too, plus your fence is mostly aluminum. I think your 400 lb capacity base would be fine.

Bill

Joseph Tarantino
09-08-2013, 2:48 PM
+1 re: capacity of your base.