PDA

View Full Version : zinsser shellac questions

Russ Massery
05-29-2005, 12:01 PM
What cut in the Zinsser shellac out of the can? And is it dewaxed? I remember reading that a 2#cut is good for brushing is this correct? and what cut is used for spraying?

Doug Shepard
05-29-2005, 2:05 PM
The Zinsser Seal-Coat is 2 Lb dewaxed. The Zinsser Shellac (both clear and amber) have wax. Not sure what cut they are though.

Cecil Arnold
05-29-2005, 2:49 PM
I think both of those are 3# cut.

Jason Roehl
05-29-2005, 7:40 PM

Yes, they are, if my memory serves me. And you don't want to brush a 3# cut. A 2# cut is fine for brushing, but 3 is not. Only the SealCoat is dewaxed that I know of.

Jim Becker
05-29-2005, 7:41 PM

I believe this is true...the one time I used this product (I normally use flakes) I found I had to cut it to effectively use it.

Doug Shepard
05-29-2005, 8:00 PM
FYI - Just in case you open a can of shellac and you're not sure if it's dewaxed or not. The one's containing wax should look something like coffee creamer that's been added to coffee, but not stirred in yet (sorry but it's the best analogy I can think of). There will be streaks or swirls of a different color (unless you're shaken the can to mix things up). That's a pretty big clue that you've got the waxed variety.

Russ Massery
05-29-2005, 8:57 PM
Thanks guys there seal coat is only dewaxed shellac.

Chuck Harris
06-06-2005, 11:12 AM
Hi Guys'

ZinserShellac is #3 Cut the Sealcoat is a #2 Cut and is dewaxed. At least that is what it says on the cans in my shop.

Don Selke
06-09-2005, 3:48 PM
I mix my own shellac from shellac flakes prior to using, usually the evening before I need to use it. I always apply (spray) a coat of dewaxed shellac (1#cut) under water base finishes. One thing you have to watch when purchasing shellac in the can is the date of manufacture. I have found some 3 year old shellac on some of the paint store shelves including the big box stores. If you do buy old shellac in the can, test it before you apply it to your project to make sure that it dries within 30 minutes of application.

Todd Burch
06-09-2005, 4:59 PM
Sealcoat is dewaxed and a 2# cut out of the can. Shellac is waxed and a 3# cut out of the can.

For spraying shellac, 1.5# to 2# is fine.