PDA

View Full Version : Need a bandsaw decision push!

Kieran Kammerer
09-06-2013, 1:46 PM
I am upgrading from my 14 inch Delta bandsaw. Waiting a few months for delivery is not a big issue. Currently I have two pending quotes, one for a Felder FB 510 and one for a Mini Max S400P. The quotes are just about 400.00 apart with the MM coming in higher. Having a tough time deciding which way to go. I know that in the springtime or sooner, I will be also purchasing an A3-31 so dealing with the same company is a plus. Also being able to use the same accessories will be a plus. I would appreciate people's thoughts/guidance. I do think that in the end, either choice will result in a quality machine. I did exchange recent emails with a woodworker in VT who was very pleased with his FB 510. Thanks in advance.

Kieran

Mike Hollingsworth
09-06-2013, 2:31 PM
I like the size of the Felder. I like the beef of the Mini Max.
Get a MM20.

Rod Sheridan
09-06-2013, 2:47 PM
I am upgrading from my 14 inch Delta bandsaw. Waiting a few months for delivery is not a big issue. Currently I have two pending quotes, one for a Felder FB 510 and one for a Mini Max S400P. The quotes are just about 400.00 apart with the MM coming in higher. Having a tough time deciding which way to go. I know that in the springtime or sooner, I will be also purchasing an A3-31 so dealing with the same company is a plus. Also being able to use the same accessories will be a plus. I would appreciate people's thoughts/guidance. I do think that in the end, either choice will result in a quality machine. I did exchange recent emails with a woodworker in VT who was very pleased with his FB 510. Thanks in advance.

Kieran

You may be able to share table extensions if you put the Hammer mounting rails on the band saw...............Go with the Felder.

Stephen Cherry
09-06-2013, 4:16 PM
another felder vote. I would buy used, particularly if you have time, but between the two, I would get the felder because it has bigger wheels, plus I like the people in the Felder office.

Kieran Kammerer
09-06-2013, 9:22 PM
Thanks for the input.

Kieran

Phil Thien
09-06-2013, 9:26 PM
Another SMC consensus! :)

Dick Mahany
09-06-2013, 10:02 PM
Sheesh, I only wish I had your dilemma!! Best of luck with which ever route you select. I'd be thrilled with either:)

Gregory Stahl
09-06-2013, 10:28 PM
S400P - I like the Carter Guides. I think the Felder wins the fence category though.

What does Felder include for the price you have been quoted? I see from their website the mobility kit is listed as an option. I believe it is standard on the S400P. Carter Guides and mobility kit will more than offset the $400 difference. What else are you really going to need or use for accessories on a band saw?

My feelings are SCMI/Mini Max are built to be used hard professionally and Felder equipment is geared more toward the high-end hobbyist. I own both brands and my preference has moved over to SCMI/Mini Max.

Which ever you choose, you will have a good saw.

Good luck,
Greg Stahl

David Wong
09-06-2013, 10:46 PM
You may be able to share table extensions if you put the Hammer mounting rails on the band saw...............Go with the Felder.

I have a Felder FB 540 and Hammer A3-31. The edge of my Felder bandsaw table does not have enough height to mount the Hammer table extension rails directly, without making an adapter plate. You should check with Felder whether the FB 510 can share rails with the Hammer.

If I were shopping for a new bandsaw today, I would consider whether I wanted it mainly for resaw, or more general purpose operations. IMHO the Mini Max bandsaws win on resaw.

David Hawxhurst
09-07-2013, 12:03 AM
why not go the other way and mount the felder rails on the hammer.

if possible i would put my hands on both saws before making my decision.

i have a felder fb 600 (so upgrades where made and its now marketed it as the fb 610).

Glenn Ancona
09-07-2013, 8:11 AM
Kiernan - Contact both Felder and M Max and find some machines to demo near by if its to far to make a road trip to Delaware. We have been contacted by Felder to have prospective buyers come demo our machines and hey - why not. I'm sure they can both give you some referrals to see some under power and maybe even let you try. I recently posted about the festool carvex jig saw and couldn't decide on which model and only after some sample scrolling work at the dealer did I make the decision - the point here is that I didn't pick the one I would have ordered from just reading reviews and looking on line. Both of these are quality machines - Good luck !

Kieran Kammerer
09-07-2013, 12:14 PM
This is my treat to myself after putting two kids through college, taking call for the last 27 years and running a small woodworking business as a side job. All the money I will be spending has been earned and saved through the side WWing business. I want to make sure I spend it wisely! :).

David Kumm
09-07-2013, 5:53 PM
Really depends on your use. The Mm is built to resaw. The 510 has a bigger table and will have more room for scroll work. The 510 is built by Felder as a lower cost alternative to the ACM 540 they used to sell. The 510 is well designed but not the equal in build to either the 540 or the MM 16 when it comes to resawing. It will serve the purpose well but should not be considered if resawing is the primary use. Dave

Craig Behnke
09-07-2013, 7:30 PM
My feelings are SCMI/Mini Max are built to be used hard professionally and Felder equipment is geared more toward the high-end hobbyist. I own both brands and my preference has moved over to SCMI/Mini Max.

Which ever you choose, you will have a good saw.

Greg,

I have the Felder FB510 and I agree with your summary, I have used a MM16 and felt it was more suited for a professional/production setting and the Felder probably more suited for high-end hobby and maybe production. Just my feeling after having used the two and owning the FB510. Note: I love my FB510, it's a fantastic saw. I'm just a hobby WWer that sells a few pieces here and there. I have a full time job in the financial profession and use WWing as a relaxing way to express creativity and get some man time (i have a wife and four daughters).