PDA

View Full Version : I need some help with a vintage motor!

Dean Nicholson
09-06-2013, 12:24 PM
Hi everyone! I hope someone can help.

It is a GE 1/3hp, 1phase, 1725rpm, model 5KC47AB899C.

Quick background: I bought it with a 40's Dunlap benchtop saw for 15 bucks from craigslist. The motor worked, but had a ratty power cord, and was filthy inside, so I took it to a local motor service for cleanup and rewire. 6 weeks later, I finally (!) get it back and promptly forget about it for a couple months (other projects). When I got around to fix the (terrible and unrequested) paint job they did on it, I saw this trainwreck of wiring:

So I guess they didn't bother with even looking at the wiring. Anyhow, the wires are so bad, they apparently just fell off the capacitor terminals. These terminals are marked with yellow and gray:

I need to re-solder. The real problem: The schematic on the inside of the cover is long gone. I have no idea which loose wire goes where. Help! One wire comes out of the windings:

The other connects to the terminal on the end bell:

Can anyone advise which wire goes to yellow, and which goes to gray? I'm also considering resoldering the other wires and/or covering them with heatshrink. If more/better pics would help, let me know. These are crappy phone pics. Any help would be massively appreciated. This little saw project has become the surprise marathon restoration from hell. I guess that's what I get for biting off more than I could really chew... but I'm going to post a restoration when I get this thing done.

David L Morse
09-06-2013, 4:35 PM
I'm not sure what the two colors mean but the capacitor terminals should be interchangeable, i.e., either wire can connect any terminal as long as there's one wire on each.

HANK METZ
09-06-2013, 11:02 PM
Here's a help from that era, probably even shows your very own motor:
http://books.google.com/books?id=SeEDAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PA81&pg=PA209#v=onepage&q&f=true

Dean Nicholson
09-16-2013, 4:06 PM
Thanks for the replies. I looked and looked for pics and/or anything online... and couldn't find a thing! Thanks again.

Peter P. Brown
09-16-2013, 6:09 PM
Since it's the capacitor, I don't think it matters. As long as it is in line.

That is a good point about the painting. Most motor shops will spray paint your motor as a courtesty when they complete the work. I was equally alarmed after my 1950 Unisaw bullet motor came back with a new spary...