PDA

View Full Version : HELP - Suggest a Table Saw book for a newbie

Kent A Bathurst
09-06-2013, 10:26 AM
Not me. A friend. I want to give him some homework before he buys or operates a table saw.

And, for those of you that recognize me as a Card-Carrying Non-Kool Aid Drinker, you may rest easy:

I told him yesterday that I cannot come up with any legitimate reason NOT to recommend a SawStop for him, but I would never buy one for myself [Ken F knows exactly why ;)]. But my friend ain't me.

Thanks in advance - let me know what worked for you. I am so far removed from that point on the curve that I have no idea. Not sure I even took my own advice back in the day - probably just powered up and pressed on. :eek:

Ray Newman
09-06-2013, 11:26 AM
I do not know about any current reference books as the one I have is out of print.

But I would tell him to sign up for the 9/15/13 Highland Woodworking --in Atlanta-- 5 hour "Table Saw Basics" class:

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/tablesaw-basics-jim-dillon-1.aspx

"...comprehensive look at the most popular and productive stationary tool in the shop. He will discuss basic saw anatomy, setup, tuning, maintenance and trouble shooting, including how to check the blade for heeling and how to realign the table and fence if necessary. He will examine fence selection, mounting and alignment; miter guides and ways to improve them; cut-off stop blocks and dedo fences. You'll get a close look at a shop-built sliding crosscut sled with blade cover, and ways to adapt it for special needs. He will share his experience on tablesaw safety: understanding kickback and what causes it, what safety devices can and cannot do to protect you, and how to keep yourself safe while using this indispensable machine."

Joe Hillmann
09-06-2013, 12:41 PM
I would suggest starting by actually reading the manual that comes with it. That should at least cover the safety basics, such as not using the fence and miter gauge at the same time, how to reduce the chances of kickback, using the splitter or riving knife keeping the fence parallel or slightly pushed out from the blade.

Dick Mahany
09-06-2013, 1:51 PM
I found Jim Tolpin's "Table Saw Magic" to be incredibly useful with excellent instruction. It's full of well done photos, illustrations and plans as well. Many great jigs, fixtures and safety enhancements also.

Kent A Bathurst
09-06-2013, 3:20 PM
Ray - Good suggestion. Except - my friend is 9 hours away in Eastern VA. Which is where I am this week.

Joe - Good point. As my dad told me repeatedly when I was a teenager that knew everything: "If all else fails, read the instructions."

Dick - Looks good. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks to all.

Still open for more ideas, if'n ya gots any.

Kent

Erik Loza
09-06-2013, 3:57 PM
I often point customers to videos on Youtube. The internet has really changed the way and the manner in which we can assimilate info and being able to watch someone, for example, actually perform the cut adds a whole new dimension to the learning curve. I sometimes find myself getting lost for hours, searching for this or that on Youtube, and bookmarking all sorts of links I never might have found otherwise. Just a thought.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

David L Morse
09-06-2013, 4:19 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Table-Book-Completely-Revised-Updated/dp/1561584266/ref=bit_abba_amznsearch_ff_us_title?_encoding=UTF8&ascsubtag=MilLe1U6xn00oT&tag=abba-amznsearch-us-ff-20&tagbase=abba&tbId=MilLe1U6xn00oT

Looks like a good intro.

Kent A Bathurst
09-06-2013, 5:35 PM
I often point customers to videos on Youtube.
Erik Loza
Minimax USA

That's a good point. I thought about that. Where I landed, though, was that venue was useful if you knew what you did not know, so you could go look for input on those gaps. So - first learn how NOT to put a stick through a 3/4" ply wall that is 20' behind you......not that I have any experience in that, of course............

Jim Rimmer
09-06-2013, 5:39 PM
Woodworkers Guild of America (wwgoadotcom) has just released a couple of table saw safety basics videos. That would be a good start until you can setle on a book. George talks about when to use a pushstick versus a push pad, where to stand, blade hight,etc. Very basic but a beginning.

Ellen Benkin
09-07-2013, 8:35 AM
Sawstop. Without question one of the best table saws available and certainly one of the safest.

Alan Schwabacher
09-07-2013, 10:13 AM
I second the Mehler book.

Ray Newman
09-08-2013, 1:55 AM
Fine Woodworking DVD with Marc Adams: "Tablesaw Techniques; How to Use a Tablesaw Safely and Effectively." US$19.95

http://www.tauntonstore.com/tablesaw-techniques-video-workshop-061127.html

Also, some school districts have Adult Ed programs that include various hop classes.