PDA

View Full Version : Need Help on how to make an item...

Wayne Grecco
09-06-2013, 2:53 AM
To all...

I am trying to figure out how to explain this in words without having a sample in front of me and basically pointing out what I am trying to do but here goes nothin!....

I currently make and sell LaserBuzz Wall Tributes and what i want to do is be able to make similar items using images that he does not offer or with images that a customer provides or wants. For example I need to make a tribute with that Cessna 182 Image I asked for in another thread.

here is where I have the problem... Say for example I get that Cessna image. How do I put that image in the center of the tribute and make parts of it cut out and parts of it engrave? For the people that make these tributes..... I am referring to the edge pieces that stay attached to the main part of the tribute where the lines are RED in color (so they vector engrave and not cut). How do you change just parts of the image so that that part of the line you can make red and the rest stays black so it will cut out? DOES THIS MAKE ANY SENSE??

I asked Buzz about this some time ago and he mentioned that he would possibly be making a video to demonstrate this but I know he is extremely busy and probably hasnt gotten around to it. But I need to know how to do this ASAP.

If someone knows of any videos on how to do this or can make a video or explain how, I would be OH SOOOOO GREATFUL!!!

Thanks again for all the awesome advise and help you guys / gals have given in the past!

Wayne

Rodne Gold
09-06-2013, 3:46 AM
You will have to trace over the image to make it a vector based item if its a picture.
Search here for "raster to vector" to find the various options.
Im sure there is a corel draw tutorial on how to do this on one of the numerous Coreldraw tips tricks and how to sites
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxJIuEw9R1Y from you tube
Plenty others

Gary Gardner
09-06-2013, 9:16 AM
In 2012 Buzz taught how to make an image into a laserable plaque at the NBM shows. It might be possible to find the write up on the NBM website. But to change the color so you can either cut out or vector engrave a line all you need to do is right click and click on convert to curves then go into the shape tool and right click on the spot you want to cut the line and choose "break apart" then right click again and choose break apart line and then choose your color to either cut or vector engrave. Remember you have to do this in at least 2 spots so the segment you want is free on both ends.
Hope this is clear enough.

Gary

Dave Sheldrake
09-06-2013, 11:17 AM
Wayne,

Do you have access to AutoCAD (Paidware) or Draftsite (Freeware)?

cheers

Dave

Mike Null
09-06-2013, 11:25 AM
This is easy to do in Corel; unfortunately I can't recall the steps.

Maybe Buzz will check in soon.

Joe Hillmann
09-06-2013, 12:01 PM
Can you put up the original laser buzz file? Save it in 10 or 11 so I can open it. I would need to see how he grouped items to give you exact instructions on how do do it but the basics would be to get a vector of the image

you want place it in the center of the plaque.

Select everything
Ungroup all.

Unselected everything
Click on the outer most outline of your image.
Hit Ctrl-c
Hold shift and click on the inner most circle of the laser buzz plaque.

After that depending on how the plaque was set up you will either use weld and maybe ctrl-v
Or back minus front and maybe ctrl-v.

Joe Hillmann
09-06-2013, 12:06 PM
If that doesn't work you may have start over but after ungrouping everything click on the inner circle of the buzz design and click Arrange:break curve apart then continue on with the instructions I gave until the end but use back minus front then ctrl-v to bring back the missing parts of the airplane.

Tom Buzz Bernard
09-06-2013, 1:26 PM
This is easy to do in Corel; unfortunately I can't recall the steps.

Maybe Buzz will check in soon.

Give me a call Wayne and I will get-ur-done for you.

YES...I need to make that video.

I am also checking out another application where I can get people to log on to my computer so they can see first hand how it's done...by watching me.

I did an article on vectorizing a photo, not sure if I posted it here yet??

Chuck Stone
09-06-2013, 7:53 PM
I did exactly what you're describing (except I used a Mooney) and I traced the outline
of the plane where I wanted it cut. I left part of each wing extending out to the edge
to hold it in place, so there I left out the red (cut) line.. I left it black so it would
raster instead.

Leon Sandstrom
09-06-2013, 8:51 PM
I just use color mapping. Draw the cut lines and outlines in different colors. When you engrave you can select power and speed settings for each color line. I use this option on many raster pictures as well so I can get finer details. I am not looking at my Corel Draw right now, but you need to make sure you set the color up when you draw so they match the exact colors in the color mapping. I think you need to use RGB and the main color like green would be 255 and the others 0 if I remember correctly. I tried to look it up on this computer but I don't have my epilog drivers installed.

Wayne Grecco
09-07-2013, 4:45 AM
You guys always come through when help is needed! Thank you!

Dave.... I do not have either of those programs. You mention a freeware DRAFTSIDE.. would this program make it easier to do what I am looking to do?

Joe...I can try what you suggest... I am looking to start with a VECTOR image or outline already so wouldnt have to worry about getting it to that point in the beginning.

Chuck... So do you just DRAW over the lines that are already there? Doesnt that cause some kind of confusion with the original line underneath the traced lines?

Leon... Thats where my problem is... I am already starting with a Vector Image that is already drawn and am not starting out from scratch where I can choose to color the lines as I go along...

Buzz.... I would GREATLY appreciate it if I could call you and if you would take the time or even if we used one of those free programs that would allow me to see your desktop as you demonstrate it. When is a good time for you to have me call? I dont want to bother you on a weekend or when your busy.

Rodne- I will check out those videos thank you!

Gary- I will try your method.

Again, I appreciate ALL your input and suggestions...

Chuck Stone
09-07-2013, 9:21 AM
Chuck... So do you just DRAW over the lines that are already there? Doesnt that cause some kind of confusion with the original line underneath the traced lines?

Wayne .. sure,I'll draw right over them. I start out with a jpeg (or whatever I have) and then I'll choose
a line color that I'm sure won't be mistaken for the RGB image... say .. bright lime green or something.
Drawing the outline manually only takes a few minutes. Then I'll tweak it to get the curves the way I
want them. Then I delete the RBG image underneath and I'm left with just the drawing. THen I'll change
those line colors as needed.

Steve Kelsey
09-07-2013, 10:50 AM
Lots of great info here. I followed along to do this myself and thought I would re-post the steps:

After the image is a vector image
1) Select the curve you want to manipulate and with the shape tool right click and select 'break apart' (note that you need to do this in at least 2 places)
2) Select the curve again and from the menu select 'Arrange' and then 'Break Apart'

you will end up with two (or more) curves which can then be independently manipulated.

Thanks again for the earlier replies which contain the solution.
-S

Greg Bednar
09-08-2013, 10:25 AM
You know, depending if the individual being given the item is an aircraft owner, the N number would also be nice engraved on it to add that personal touch; if you haven't thought of this already.