PDA

View Full Version : Used SCMI S45 Bandsaw

brad clemens
09-06-2013, 12:15 AM
I am looking to buy a bandsaw. I found a used SCMI S45 on Ebay, buy it now for $800.00. I live close enough to pick this up, so it is intriguing. But it is used, rusty and has no fence. Should I keep looking? I am thinking about a Grizzly G0513X2. I just got their G490X Jointer and I am very pleased. If I bought the SCMI S45, can anyone recommend a fence? This would be my first bandsaw, I will probably use it mostly for cutting 1" boards, and very little re-sawing. but I want the capability to re-saw if the need comes up.

Thanks
Brad

Erik Loza
09-06-2013, 9:15 AM
Brad, the S45 is a quality machine but I won't tell you whether or not you should buy it; that's only a decision you can make. Spare parts may or may not be available, depending on its age. I can get you in touch with our parts dept. if you want to pursue this further. One thing I will tell you is that in my 10+ years of selling machines, customers fall into two categories: Guys who are more interested in a "project" and guys who do not mind paying more, so they can just push the start-switch and begin making sawdust. Which category do you fall into? Yes, there are lots of bargains out there if the customer is willing to do some work but on the other hand, your time could be worth money, so sometimes you come out ahead by just spending more for the convenience of not having to rebuild anything. Again, that is for you to decide, not me or anyone else.

Best of luck with your search.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA