PDA

View Full Version : Lathe attached to Table Saw Arbor

Mike Olson
09-05-2013, 3:15 PM
I have this Lathe I use maybe once a year but I can't seem to make myself get rid of it.

I now have a table saw which needs to go where my Lathe table is currently located, so i'm thinking about hanging the lathe on the bottom back of the table saw legs under the Table Saw motor. I then thought why couldn't I use the table saw and the table saw motor for the Lathe on those rare occasions I actually use it.

I'm thinking I could take out the table saw blade and put in a small v-groove pulley in it's place and set the Lathe right over the table saw.

What do you guys think? bad idea or would it be worth my time to try it out?

Thanks,
Mike

david brum
09-05-2013, 5:00 PM
Hmm, the first obstacle that comes to mind is the motor speed. I believe that most lathe motors run in the 1700rpm range whereas most table saws run about 3600rpm. Doubling the speed of your lathe would be limiting, but if you're only making small objects you'd probably be OK. It would be dangerous with something like a bowl, where you need lower speeds so you don't launch your project through your shop wall.

ray hampton
09-05-2013, 9:49 PM
Will it will work IF the table saw is a sawstop ?

Mike Henderson
09-05-2013, 10:19 PM
Even if you could put a pulley on your table saw arbor and connect it to your lathe, it seems to me that the location of the lathe would not be very convenient for doing the work. I think you'd do better to use a regular electric motor and think of a way to store the lathe when it's not in use.

As someone else pointed out, you need to be able to change the speed of your lathe depending on what you're turning. If you have to change the pulley on the arbor, it would be very inconvenient. So inconvenient that you probably won't want to do much lathe work.

Mike

HANK METZ
09-05-2013, 10:34 PM
Such a scheme was done on DeWalt radial saws, but it required a counter shaft setup to drop the 3400 r.p.m. arbor rotation to a variety of speeds needed for turning. The pulley was as simple as you conceive, just bored out at 5/8" and secured to the arbor with existing nut and washer. The same technique was also used to drive a 4x 36 horizontal belt sander as well, I have one (sander) & it's on my future to do list just for grins.

Mike Cruz
09-06-2013, 7:45 AM
Motor speed is WAY too high. Torque would be an issue too, as when you lower the speed (I'd assume with a VFD), you'd really be suffering. It is bad enough when you are lowering the speed on a 3 hp motor on the lathe with a 1725 motor...

Mike Olson
09-06-2013, 3:22 PM
hmm... ok, I guess i'll ditch the idea. I disassembled the lathe last night so I could put the workbench it was on out for garbage. For now, i have the lathe upside down on the cross members of the TS legs. it will get pretty dusty but eh, like i said i'm not sure when i'll use it next. I'll have to stash the motor somewhere...

Thanks for the shake back to reality everyone.
Mike