PDA

View Full Version : Miter slot extenders?

Jason White
09-05-2013, 11:22 AM
I remember a few years ago seeing something you could bolt onto the back of your tablesaw that extended the length of the miter slots. It was not an outfeed table. I think it was made of metal and it was pretty small.

Anybody know what I'm talking about? I've scoured the web and can't find it. It would save me from having to rout slots into my nice maple workbench, which I use as an outfeed table because my shop is very small.

Rick Potter
09-05-2013, 12:06 PM
Jason,

Probably not quite what you are asking for, but I have seen several saws that have a home made 'table' that is only 6" or so deep, and attached to the saw. These were usually mounted on contractor saws, and would take up no room at all because of the motor hanging out the back. Factory wise, it could be that you have seen a table extension for a Sears saw, which is probably where I saw them also.

If it would work to make one for your saw, it would only need to be as wide as the miter gage extends beyond the table at the point where it clears the blade. Come up with a mounting system, and set your workbench against it.

OR, you could just place the bench a few inches away from the saw, to clear the miter gage. On my outfeed table I simply put a big roundover on one side so the wood won't catch.

Hope this helps,
Rick Potter

Joe Scharle
09-05-2013, 2:25 PM
Maybe this in-feed table will give you an idea.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/2084/Osborne_3_.JPG

Steve Peterson
09-06-2013, 1:55 PM
I have a 4' by 7' workbench behind my saw that serves as an outfeed table. I routed 2 slots about 1.25" by 18" by 0.5" in line with the miter slots. I made them slightly oversized so there would be no chance of ever hitting them while working. I never even notice them when I am working. The only slight annoyance is that they fill up with sawdust and don't brush out, they need to be vacuumed.

Steve

phil harold
09-06-2013, 2:11 PM
I like that Idea love my osborne but it does hang up on wide stock

Maybe this in-feed table will give you an idea.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/2084/Osborne_3_.JPG