PDA

View Full Version : Elm HF

Jack Mincey
09-05-2013, 10:34 AM
This is a 10 1/2" tall elm Hollow Form I just finished up. It is finished with lacquer and was turn free hand. Jack http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/flyrod444/elmhf_zpsfc5c19db.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/flyrod444/media/elmhf_zpsfc5c19db.jpg.html)

Brian Kent
09-05-2013, 11:07 AM
I so totally do not understand how you guys do hollow forms through these 1/4" holes!!! Wonderful job, Jack.

Steve Doerr
09-05-2013, 11:09 AM
Jack, very nicely done. The shape and finish are top notch. I really like how the sap wood kind of rolls down the side. You did a good job of keeping the bark on this as well. That is not an easy job with an opening this small and doing it by free hand.
Keep up the good work.
Steve

Jon Nuckles
09-05-2013, 12:06 PM
That is very impressive work. +1 on not understanding how you can hollow and clean out shavings through such a small hole.

Dennis Ford
09-05-2013, 12:35 PM
A beautiful piece. I really like the use of heart wood, sapwood and bark. I do know how hard it is to hollow and clean out shavings from a small hole but have not been able to actually do it and keep the bark intact also.

Bill Hensley
09-05-2013, 1:37 PM
Well done! That's a beauty. I agree with Dennis, leaving the sapwood and bark are a nice touch that really adds character to the piece.

Jack Mincey
09-05-2013, 4:16 PM
Thanks for the compliments everyone. The opening is just over 1" and it was hollowed through this opening. This one was one of the more difficult forms I've done leaving the bark since the sap wood didn't want to stay on the form. I had to use some thin CA to stabilize the sapwood which worked great. To get the shavings out of a form with this size opening I have set up a nozzle made from a 3/4" piece of PVC which I can stick back into the form and suck the saw dust out with a shop vac. AN air hose works well for blowing out the dust. but not as good and the shop vac. Thanks again, Jack

charlie knighton
09-05-2013, 5:18 PM
well done.......

BILL DONAHUE
09-05-2013, 7:48 PM
Wow! That is really gorgeous. Is there something in that N.C. water that makes so many turners turn out such good work?

Jack Mincey
09-06-2013, 5:04 PM
Bill, it might just be that we have an awful lot of beautiful wood to work with here. Thanks again everyone. Jack