PDA

View Full Version : How to add rabbit to a small box after it is glued together

Alan Lightstone
09-05-2013, 9:35 AM
Well, did this in the wrong order, so now I need a little help fixing things.

I built a small jewelry box as a gift for a friend, and intended to have a sliding tray inside. What I forgot to do was make the rabbet on the four inside sides of what will become the top of the bottom piece to serve as a rest for the tray.

The stage I am at is about to make the splines for the mitered edges on the box. The box is still in one piece with the top still attached and not sawed off.

Is there an easy way with a plane or a power tool to make the rabbets after I saw the top off the box?

Anthony Whitesell
09-05-2013, 9:46 AM
Check out Lee Valley for just that bit. I'll see if I can find a link for you. It is a small diameter 3 wing slot cutting bit. Typically used to cut the groove for the bottom of the box while it is taped together before the sides are glued. But I think you could get it to work for you.

Found it. Will this work for you?

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=47818&cat=1,46168,69435,46176&ap=1 (http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=47818&cat=1,46168,69435,46176&ap=1)

Jeff Duncan
09-05-2013, 9:55 AM
One thing I've done in the past is add another layer of wood after you remove the top. Cut pieces in the same stock as your box is made from just thick enough for your ledge. Then glue them in place and nobody will be the wiser;)

good luck,
JeffD

Alan Lightstone
09-05-2013, 9:59 AM
Check out Lee Valley for just that bit. I'll see if I can find a link for you. It is a small diameter 3 wing slot cutting bit. Typically used to cut the groove for the bottom of the box while it is taped together before the sides are glued. But I think you could get it to work for you.

Found it. Will this work for you?

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=47818&cat=1,46168,69435,46176&ap=1 (http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=47818&cat=1,46168,69435,46176&ap=1)

Thanks, Anthony. I actually do have a slot cutting bit set, but is there a safe way to rout this on the inside of the box with it already glued together? Or am I over-thinking this?

Anthony Whitesell
09-05-2013, 10:09 AM
Thanks, Anthony. I actually do have a slot cutting bit set, but is there a safe way to rout this on the inside of the box with it already glued together? Or am I over-thinking this?

If you could hold the box well enough, you might be able to put the bit in a hand router. But I would use a router table. The examples on using the bit, show it used mounted in a router table.

The trick is the diameter of the bit. The small the bit, the closer it will cut to the corners. If you want a 1/4" rabbit and use a 3/4" diameter bit with a 1/4" diameter bearing, it will cut closer to the corner than using a 1 1/2" diameter bit with a 1" diameter bearing.

Alan Lightstone
09-05-2013, 10:32 AM
Oh. I see their instructions. They clearly design it to work in a completed box.

I'm thinking a small rabbeting bit will be more of what I am looking for, though, with the same technique. I did make the slots for the top and bottom before assembly, so at least I didn't screw that part up.

Sam Murdoch
09-05-2013, 10:50 AM
Sorry, I thought this was a little animal thread ... :D I was going to suggest chloroform- just a little bit.

Now I see that the little router bit is a good solution too.

Jamie Buxton
09-05-2013, 11:06 AM
Sorry, I thought this was a little animal thread ... :D I was going to suggest chloroform- just a little bit.

Now I see that the little router bit is a good solution too.

I was going to suggest asking magicians how they put the rabbit back in the hat.

Richard Coers
09-05-2013, 11:08 AM
To support a tray, you only need two surfaces. I would just glue in some thin strips of wood inside the box. No routing necessary.

Mike Henderson
09-05-2013, 11:52 AM
To support a tray, you only need two surfaces. I would just glue in some thin strips of wood inside the box. No routing necessary.
You can put four little square pieces of wood in the four corners to support the tray. My wife had a box and asked me to make a tray for it. I did and used the little squares to support the tray. You can tape the pieces in place to make sure they support the tray properly before you glue them. You don't see the squares when the tray is in place.

Mike

Alan Lightstone
09-05-2013, 2:28 PM

And I was going to say we use isoflurane or sevoflurane these days.

Chloroform is so yesterday.. :cool:

Dave Richards
09-05-2013, 2:41 PM
And I was going to say we use isoflurane or sevoflurane these days.

Chloroform is so yesterday.. :cool:

And Des is too expensive. ;)

Andrew Hughes
09-05-2013, 3:30 PM
I add to the inside boxes for trays as mike and Richard mentions, I am going to call it thinking inside the box instead outside the box.:) Post some pics when it's done seems like your putting your heart in your project for your friend.Andrew

Charlie Velasquez
09-05-2013, 3:35 PM
To add structure and asthetic detail, and make it look like you planned it to demonstrate your woodworking skills, add splines to your miter joints. But, make the ploughs all the way through the joint so about 1/4" of the spline will extend into the box. Maybe one on the lid and two on the body?? Choose a beautiful contrasting wood and they will ohh and ahh at the detail you added just for them.

Alan Lightstone
09-05-2013, 5:37 PM
To add structure and asthetic detail, and make it look like you planned it to demonstrate your woodworking skills, add splines to your miter joints. But, make the ploughs all the way through the joint so about 1/4" of the spline will extend into the box. Maybe one on the lid and two on the body?? Choose a beautiful contrasting wood and they will ohh and ahh at the detail you added just for them.

I wasn't planning on having the top tray go all the way across the box, but Charlie that's a really slick idea.

Alan Lightstone
09-05-2013, 5:47 PM

Oh!!! Now I see. I misspelled rabbet in the thread title. Doh!!!!! Obviously not the sharpest knife on my own post.

Charlie Velasquez
09-05-2013, 7:17 PM
I wasn't planning on having the top tray go all the way across the box...

Same idea then...
Make a plough cut along opposing sides. Add a spline 1/4" wider than the thickness of the sides. Dado the other two sides to add matching inlay. It will look like a solid contrasting band all the way around.

Alan Lightstone
09-05-2013, 8:35 PM
Same idea then...
Make a plough cut along opposing sides. Add a spline 1/4" wider than the thickness of the sides. Dado the other two sides to add matching inlay. It will look like a solid contrasting band all the way around.
Ahhh!!!!!!!!

Keep the good ideas coming. This has been a very instructive thread for me.

tom coleman
09-07-2013, 3:52 AM
I have made oversized splines that extend into the box interior as a support for a jewelry tray. I think one of the most satisfying aspects of woodworking is finding a way to correct a mistake or an oversight. Good luck