PDA

View Full Version : Clock Hands?

John Bion
09-05-2013, 6:02 AM
Has anyone cut clock hands from wood veneer or other thin materials? I am needing hands between about 0.45mm and 1.5mm thickness (0.018" and 0.058" - sorry I am metricated).
If so, what veneer did you use and did it warp/crack? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Kind regards,
John

Mike Null
09-05-2013, 8:57 AM
John

Haven't tried cutting my own but would be concerned about keeping them flat. I don't know if these people ship to the UK but you might give them a try. http://www.crafterscomponents.com/home.php?cat=3

Martin Boekers
09-05-2013, 9:20 AM
Could you cut the veneer and mount it to existing hands?

John Bion
09-05-2013, 10:25 AM
Dear Mike and Martin.
Thanks for your tips. I am trying to custom make hands to compliment a new series of clocks we are doing, complete with matching pendulums on some. I have a range of standard hands in stock but I have a penchant for complicating my life ;)
The idea of mounting veneer cuts on standard hands is interesting, thanks Martin.
Kind regards,
John

Keith Outten
09-05-2013, 10:35 AM
John,

I have thought about making clock hands from engravers plastic, lots of colors and types of material available. If your laser engraver is up to par you can cut plastic without warping so it should be a viable alternative. I haven't tried it yet but I have some clock designs in mind that would require custom hands and numerals. The 0.032" ADA plastic is what I have in mind for solid black clock hands.

John Bion
09-05-2013, 10:49 AM
John,

I have thought about making clock hands from engravers plastic, lots of colors and types of material available. If your laser engraver is up to par you can cut plastic without warping so it should be a viable alternative. I haven't tried it yet but I have some clock designs in mind that would require custom hands and numerals. The 0.032" ADA plastic is what I have in mind for solid black clock hands.

Hi Keith,
Thanks for your reply. I am still really green in this - what is ADA plastic? Sounds interesting though.
Regards, John

Martin Boekers
09-05-2013, 11:23 AM
maybe Formica would work too?

Keith Outten
09-05-2013, 2:31 PM
Martin,

Formica is an excellent suggestion.
Thanks

John Bion
09-05-2013, 5:05 PM
Dear Martin and Keith, I appreciate your time replying and for your help, I will try some formica.
Kind Regards,
John

George M. Perzel
09-06-2013, 3:28 AM
John;
I have cut clock hands from a bunch of different wood veneers and other material using the laser. Very thin ebony is very nice but difficult to cut without much flaring/flaming due to wood oil content. Minimal warping if length runs parallel to grain of wood. Thin plexi (colored) also works fine. I have a bunch of clock hand designs if you need some-PM me.
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts

John Bion
09-06-2013, 6:13 PM
John;
I have cut clock hands from a bunch of different wood veneers and other material using the laser. Very thin ebony is very nice but difficult to cut without much flaring/flaming due to wood oil content. Minimal warping if length runs parallel to grain of wood. Thin plexi (colored) also works fine. I have a bunch of clock hand designs if you need some-PM me.
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts

George,
Thank you for your helpfulness and tips, they are much appreciated.
Kind regards,
John

Greg Bednar
09-06-2013, 7:38 PM
Popsicle sticks or tongue depressors if they are long enough for your project.

Cliff Land
09-10-2013, 6:40 PM
The set on pink background is cardboard from a cereal box. The set on orange is cut from .90mm thick wilsonart laminate countertop material.
the counter top material breaks pretty easily. I had thought of cutting a thin strip of aluminum to glue to the back side for reinforcement and add a little pop to the hands where the aluminum shines through.

Dan Hintz
09-10-2013, 7:40 PM
Consider two layers of the laminate, glued together at 90 degree angles... should improve the snap strength significantly.

John Bion
09-13-2013, 7:43 AM
Greg, Cliff and Dan,
Thanks for your replies.
I have tried Formica so far and as pointed out , it does snap easily, cross laminating it would be a good idea. My first attempts were not overly encouraging due to carbon however Dave Sheldrake has recommended using a 25mm lens for cutting this product. Formica has a nominal thickness of 0.7mm for anyone else's interests sake, and has held on well to the clock mechanism at that thickness. I would not have thought of tongue depressors, thanks for that.
Kind Regards,
John

Martin Boekers
09-13-2013, 7:59 AM
John, if you decide with wood, Colorado Heirloom will sand, finish and color to any thickness you need. They work with a nice variety of woods and are reasonably priced.

George M. Perzel
09-13-2013, 8:24 AM
John;
Most wood veneer is between 1/28" and 1/42" thick. You can make very stable clock hands in complex patterns by laminating two or three layers of veneer together with the grains arranged perpendicular to each other (like plywood is made) and then laser cutting them. Easy to do with high strength spray adhesive and some heavy weights or book press.
Good Luck
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts

Martin Boekers
09-13-2013, 10:25 AM
Maybe mounting to 1/16" black acrylic and cut?

George M. Perzel
09-13-2013, 10:45 AM
Martin;
That may be too heavy for some clock mechanisms- you end up thinking it's six thirty all the time.
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts

Chuck Stone
09-13-2013, 2:14 PM
Do the holes in those hands hold up? I know on the small clocks I get, one hand has a side
cut off to engage the metal hands. The other one is a press fit. take the hands off two or
three times, and they might never engage again. Just wondered if that was a problem with
the wood hands or not..

George M. Perzel
09-13-2013, 6:10 PM
Chuck;
I have not had a problem with laminated veneer hands, but then I haven't taken them off more than a couple of times-not really a reason to.
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts