PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Chalice/demo group pic

Roger Chandler
09-04-2013, 2:36 PM
This is the last one before the actual demo on Saturday........."goblets with ornate stems/pedestals." Frankly...........I will be glad when this demo is over! I will of course turn another of some different description than these, but I am ready to do something besides goblets!

This one is cherry..........and the stem was going to be different than it is..........I got into the blank and found a surprise.......a bark inclusion that was not there ............just a knot............it turned out it was a limb pocket......which I turned out, but I got a little apprehensive about the structural integrity of this one, so I had to change the stem from what I originally intended.......just so I could leave some wood at the base transition....oh well, such is the nature of wood!

The red one in the center is my first goblet from back in 2009 or 2010...........where Steve Schlumpf challenged me to do something with dye...........boy ......looking at it now.......the stem sure is too rotund! :o That is okay.....it was my first goblet and as the tall one shows.........I do know how to turn thinner! ;) :D Of course, they were all turned to show possibilities.........different styles, to fire up the imagination of those who will see the demo on Saturday.

The group from left to right.........back: hackberry, dyed maple, norway maple. Front cherry and Bradford Pear. The the last one......the tall one in the separate pic is apple from Oregon with walnut stem.........[that one is gone .....donated to an auction to support a home for special needs adults]

Anyone care to turn a goblet? I am done with them for a while!!! :D

Brian Kent
09-04-2013, 2:47 PM
I like the artistic value of the thinner stem, but when selecting a communion chalice for regular usage, I would go for the sturdier one.

Roger Chandler
09-04-2013, 3:03 PM
I like the artistic value of the thinner stem, but when selecting a communion chalice for regular usage, I would go for the sturdier one.

I agree, Brian........if one was to be passed around an handled a lot, the sturdier stem would hold up and the thin one is sure to get snapped.....such is the lack of care most people show.......too heavy handed, and the lack of understanding of how much work goes into something like this! ;)