PDA

View Full Version : A little safety moment.

Jamie Lynch
09-04-2013, 7:09 AM
I've been at my job for 5 years, 11 months. In that time I've used electricians scissors to strip the jacket of probably thousands of cables. Never once had I hurt myself.
Yesterday about 10 minutes become quitting time I was stripping the jacket off a large 4 cond 6 awg cable, just as I had done so many times before. Only this time was different. The cable was in an awkward position and I placed my left hand on the cable a little bit to close to where I was making the cut. I cut about 3/4 of the way around and the scissors slipped and cut across the back of my thumb between the knuckle and hand, Not good.
The procedure of what to do in response to a minor work injury not my point. My point today and reminder to everyone is THINK! It just takes a fraction of a second to slip up and cause injury. I'm fortunate this time. I don't want there to be a next time. I need to pay even closer attention to what I'm holding in my hands. I need to realize even the simplest and most mundane procedure can cause a potentially serious injury.
I always think about how I hold a chisel, how I hold my pocket knife, how I stand at the table saw, where I stand at the planer... The list goes on and on. I need to remind myself to think about the little things as much as the big things. They can all cause injury when misused.

Andrew Jordan
09-04-2013, 9:50 AM
The key phrase in there is '10 minutes before quitting time' = that's when we become more careless.

In skiing, the biggest injuries always come from people trying to fit in 'one last run'.

Andrew

Harvey M. Taylor
09-04-2013, 9:54 AM
couldnt have said it better. Max
The price of freedom[ from injury] is eternal vigilance.

Jim Rimmer
09-04-2013, 1:19 PM
I am the safety manager for my company and try to get the message across to our guys all the time. The mantra I am currently using is Slip, Grip, Trip. What will happen if you, the tool or the part slips. What will happen if you loose your grip - banged knuckles, fall down? What happens if you trip - where will your body go? I tie this in with Identify the Line of Fire. If your hands slips, will it go into the line of fire? etc.

The hardest thing for me is to keep repeating the same thing over and over and over. I feel like I'm talking down to the guys and the are top notch techs. However, we seem to have the same type of accidents so I keep pounding on the message.

Sorry about your injury and hope you heal quickly.