PDA

View Full Version : Two Crosscut Sleds

Brett Bobo
09-03-2013, 10:55 PM
It seems as though most of my jigs come out of necessity in the midst of a project so I figured it was time to be proactive and try to get a leg up on the jig curve :D It was long overdue to have more of a permanent crosscut sled solution that wasn't just a one and done sled. So, the goal was to accommodate replaceable zero clearance inserts for multiple blades, including a dado stack, stop blocks, and of course, dead square cuts. Thanks to Glenn Bradley for his help with the ZCIs and suggestions based on his previous versions.

Small Sled: 14 1/2" x 48"

Large Sled: 25 1 /2" x 48"

The dimensions shown above are the inside dimensions of usable area, not overall dimensions. Both sleds are made with 3/4" melamine for the base, quarter sawn maple runners, and maple fences. The maple was overkill but it was what I had on hand that would be durable and stable. There's t-slot routed in the rear fences for the stop blocks and accessories. The ZCIs are melamine as well and I ended up making a bunch of replaceable inserts to have on hand-it's kind of like clamps, you can't have too many.

I squared the fences using the five cut method. On the smaller sled, I had "crazy good" accuracy on the second round; whereas, the large sled took six iterations to get it right with a bit of fussing after the third attempt until the sixth.

The only question now is where to store them so any suggestions or solutions would be appreciated.

Thanks for looking,
Brett

Greg Hines, MD
09-03-2013, 11:13 PM
Store them on a hook, drill a hole, or handle hole probably, and hang them off one end.

Doc.

Rich Engelhardt
09-04-2013, 7:08 AM
Yep +1 to hang them on the wall.

W/a 48" width, you can catch @ least two studs. I'd take a big hole saw and put two big holes 16" apart up near the top fence (the fence away from you as you use the sled) then stick a couple of sections of 3/4" dowel rod into the studs on the wall to hang the sleds on.