PDA

View Full Version : Help in identifying prossible lathe tool rest

John R. Wood
09-03-2013, 9:11 PM
Hello: I'm a volunteer researcher for a local Community Museum in Nova Scotia. In our collection is a boot scraper which looks to me to have originally been a tool rest for a lathe. It is small, so I'm guessing would have been for the production of smaller workpieces.
I'm not a woodworker, so if you are able to help in identifying and especially in dating this artifact, please dumb down your answers;)

Many thanks.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-03-2013, 9:15 PM
John,

Welcome to the Creek!

Another site worth trying is OWWM dot org.

The OWWM stands for Old Wood Working Machinery

Good luck with your search!

John McClanahan
09-03-2013, 11:21 PM
I think you have part of a clamp. It is screwed down as it sits, to secure it. The top is the stationary jaw half of the clamp. Near the base is the pivot for the movable jaw. It would have a draw bolt that passed through the hole midway up with some kind of knob to tighten the two jaws together.

John

jack forsberg
09-04-2013, 7:41 AM
I think you have part of a clamp. It is screwed down as it sits, to secure it. The top is the stationary jaw half of the clamp. Near the base is the pivot for the movable jaw. It would have a draw bolt that passed through the hole midway up with some kind of knob to tighten the two jaws together.

John

yep that's what it is part of a hand saw vise to hold the blades when filing the teeth.

John R. Wood
09-04-2013, 8:34 PM

John

Thanks very much John: Ken (I'm awaiting account activation email from OWWM ) and Jack as well. That's exactly the quality of information I lack from my background. I'll now have to re-write my description for the museum, as it's been my best guess! I had no explanation for the square hole on the shaft, until now. Any ideas on a possible date ( or era)?
The eBay link has a useful photo, but the store owner is on vacation until Sept 14. I may get some photos from OWWM.org in any case.
Thanks again. John Wood.