PDA

View Full Version : Follow up to Better way to do this cut on a box ????

Bill Huber
09-03-2013, 8:32 PM
Jerry made a suggestion to use a pattern so I made one today and gave it a try.
Worked very well, made a really nice cut and the fit was really good, better then I have gotten with anything else.

So now I think I will try the cut the top off first and then cut the angle part and glue it all back together like Alan suggested.
The only problem I think there will be is a 1/8" gap in the front.

Here is the fit cut with the pattern and the jig itself. The jig is set up to be used on both sides with the back of the box as a reference, just by putting the reference block on the other side. It tapes on easy and holds good, I did set it up with spacers so there was no chance of going off line.
I used a bushing that fits right in the slot and a 1/8" bit in the little Dewalt router.

270161 270162

Sam Murdoch
09-03-2013, 10:29 PM
Bill, that looks as clean as you can get. Don't know how you could accommodate for a kerf by cutting off a piece and regluing. I think you nailed it with this techniques. I saw the original box you posted. I hope the food coming out of those recipes is as good as the design/woodworking on the box.
Very nicely done.

Bill Huber
09-04-2013, 9:37 AM
Bill, that looks as clean as you can get. Don't know how you could accommodate for a kerf by cutting off a piece and regluing. I think you nailed it with this techniques. I saw the original box you posted. I hope the food coming out of those recipes is as good as the design/woodworking on the box.
Very nicely done.

I am not going to try the reglue, I made it in SketchUp and there will be a kerf gap in front and I don't want that.