PDA

View Full Version : Stanley 150 miter box, improving the saw guide system?

Mike Holbrook
09-03-2013, 11:05 AM
So after removing the saw guides for my Stanley 150, I notice that there is a ridge around the edge of the two guides the saw slides back & forth within. The edges are apparently all that touch the saw blade. The edges looked fairly rough so I thought I would smooth them up on my stones then put Renaissance Wax on them.

Then I though about gluing small pieces of vise jaw suede leather to the contact surface of each jaw. I worry a little about a good saw blade traveling back & forth between those two pieces of metal. I am wondering if anyone who has used one of these miter saws has information to relate regarding wear & tear on saw blades clamped between those two metal jaws and or solutions to abrasion from metal moving on metal?

Craig Gates
09-16-2013, 4:05 PM
Mike,
I have two Stanley 150's and haven't noticed a lot of wear on the saw blades, but I don't use them a lot.
I think a UHMW tape is probably a better choice to reduce wear and also reduce friction on the guide plates.
Lee Valley and Woodcraft both sell the 3/4" width and Highland Tools sells a 3" wide UHMW.
The 3" width is also useful on saw fences and shooting boards.
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/uhmwslicktape3x6ft.aspx
Best,
Craig