PDA

View Full Version : HF roofing nailer - gem or dud?

Rich Engelhardt
09-03-2013, 7:30 AM
I have two tool sheds to reroof.
About 274 sq feet in total.

A pneumatic nailer would be handy.

Harbor Freight has one I can pick up for $79.00.

Rental runs about $26.00 per day. Since I know I'm not going to get to both sheds the same day, I'm looking at a two day rental - which puts me @ 2/3 of the HF gun.

Has anyone used this nailer?
The reviews are mostly positive.
My own experience with HF nailers has been one great one (flooring nailer) and one dud (framing nailer).

Jim Cook
09-04-2013, 9:15 PM
I got one to do my workshop. It did a good job. Had to get a whole box of nails, I have lots of nails left over. The wife would not let me do the house. Something about the height and grey hair. I got 40 year shingles, I will be 108 when they need to be redone. I don't think she will let me on the roof then. It worked for me.

Jeff Monson
09-04-2013, 10:00 PM
I used my friends HF nailer to do a shed at the lake a couple years ago, it worked really good considering the cost, it did jam a few times but sure beat a hammer. I did my home last summer and picked up a recon Bostich for $129 at our local tool outlet, while it did cost more, it did work considerably better.

Rich Engelhardt
09-05-2013, 6:17 AM
picked up a recon Bostich for $129Good info there!
I was also looking at a reconditioned Bostitch for $129.
The Bostitch can also be used for siding with an optional siding adapter so I'm probably going to go that route instead of the HF.

Jeff Monson
09-05-2013, 8:57 AM
Good info there!
I was also looking at a reconditioned Bostitch for $129.
The Bostitch can also be used for siding with an optional siding adapter so I'm probably going to go that route instead of the HF.

Just threw that out there Rich, wasn't trying to "upsell" you on anything. I REALLY like that recon nailer, I have a friend that works for Acme tools (place I bought it from) he said the aluminum case is about the only thing that they reuse in the recon process. I did 18 squares of shingles on my garage last fall without an issue.

Rich Engelhardt
09-05-2013, 10:03 AM
Jeff, no problem!
I'm actually glad you made that comment/comparison.

A recon Bostitch costs a bit more up front, but, if I can add a kit to it for about $26 that turns it into a vinyl siding gun, that makes it cheaper in the long run.

To know that, head to head, it worked better than the HF is icing on the cake.
Plus, the Bostitch is magnesium and the HF is aluminum.

About the only con people mention on the HF gun is the weight.
If the Bostitch works better and is lighter - that's just more reason to prefer it.

George Werner
09-08-2013, 11:13 PM
If I needed a roofing nailer I would grab the HF in a heartbeat. I have a framing nailer I bought from them 10 years ago that has been used to build 14'x20' shed and a 24'x40' workshop with 10' walls. Not a single hiccup along the way. Probably the best money I've ever spent on a tool, think I paid $50 for it at the time.