PDA

View Full Version : Scary Sharp Grits? (Hidden Gloat)

Martin Shupe
05-14-2003, 11:05 AM
Well, I just got my set of Two Cherries chisels from Dieter Schmidt, and I am very happy with them so far. Of course, now I have to learn how to keep them scary sharp.

I am going to buy some sand paper from Klingspor, and am trying to decide which grits to buy for the scary sharp method.

They have 240, 280, 320, 400, 600, 800, 1000, and 1200 grit self adhering silicon carbide wet/dry available in 6" by 5 meter (there's a mix of measurements) rolls. Each roll is 9.95, and if I am not careful, I'll quickly spend $80 on sand paper.

So...how many of these grits do I really need? (assuming I don't drop a chisel on the floor) What grits do you all use?

Also, I am traveling to a woodworking school this summer. Someone once suggested using a piece of granite instead of glass for the scary sharp method. I think that might be better if I am traveling. Where do you get a small piece of granite? How big does it have to be?

Thanks in advance,

John Seutter
05-14-2003, 11:23 AM
The granite I got was one of those granite floor tiles you can get at HD or Lowes, mine cost less than $4. I don't remember the grits right now, but don't think I used 280. I purchased mine from a local automotive paint supplier. Also I go to 2000.

Lee Schierer
05-14-2003, 12:21 PM
I got my 3/8" thick glass at a Ponder picnic. I use 320, 400, 600, 800,1200 and 2000 all of which are available for about $1.80 cents per pack at the local automotive store.

Tom Scott
05-14-2003, 12:48 PM
I hope you like the new chisels as much as I have mine. You'll see mine in the bench cabinet in the post below.

Sorry, but I can't help you much with the scary sharp thing.

Tom

Paul Barnard
05-14-2003, 4:40 PM
I rang a local stone works. They do kitchens, floors, walls etc. in marble, granit and the like. I asked if they had any off cuts I could buy. I went down to there shop and they had mountains of big off cuts. I picked a very nice peice of polished granit from the pile and asked how much. The reply was "for that scrappy little piece? Nothing" Most towns/cities will have a stone mason/ floorer/kitchen builder in the area check it out, one mans scrap is another mans lapping plate.

Roger Nixon
05-15-2003, 11:40 AM
For a substrate I use marble floor tiles ($.50 at a garage sale).
I have one tile with 50, 80, & 120 grit sanding belts and 220, 320, & 600 grit SiC attached that I use for flattening backs. I grind primary bevels on a belt sander and I use 15, 5 and .5 micron 3M abrasives on another marble tile for sharpening and polishing the backs of blades.
It's fast, cheap & works well freehand or jigged.