PDA

View Full Version : Mothers Calif Gold wax - silicone?

Allen Bookout
05-28-2005, 6:14 PM
Need wax for my saw tabletop. I do not have and cannot find Johnsons paste wax. I may be able to get Minwax tomorrow but may be not. I do have Mothers California Gold Original formula carnauba cleaner wax. Doe anyone know if it contains silicone? Also since it list a cleaner it may damage the T-9 that I have applied. Does anyone know about this issue?

I searched on line with no results and the can gives no clue.

Allen

Brian Hale
05-28-2005, 9:08 PM
I can't say for sure if it has silicone in it but many car waxs do. I'd stick with Johnsons or Minwax if possible. My favorite is Renaissance Wax which can be purchased through Highland Hardware. A bit expensive but you'll be amazed at how it performs!

http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com

Brian

Allen Bookout
05-28-2005, 9:25 PM
I am sure that you are right. I was just wishing for another answer. Thanks! Allen

Dan Owen
05-29-2005, 12:34 AM
I'm with Brian, you can't beat Renaissance.

Kirk (KC) Constable
05-29-2005, 12:39 AM
I use Johnson's because I have it...but I wouldn't worry for a sec about any finishing problems from using wax with silicon. How often do you take something directly from the saw to finsihing?

KC

Norman Hitt
05-29-2005, 4:08 AM
On another Forum last year the subject of Mothers came up, and one of the fellows contacted Mothers, and posted their response. They said it does contain silicone and would not be appropriate for his intended use. The problem with silicone is that it just seems to migrate from one place to another in the shop, and is a real pain to control. I personally do not allow ANYTHING with silicone in it inside my shop, because I have had numerous bad experiences in the past from it when painting and finishing both metal and wood. I HATE Fisheyes :mad: :mad:

Kirk (KC) Constable
05-29-2005, 5:39 AM
Don't you wipe it off the saw? And don't you sand the wood? I guess I'm stubborn, but I'd still use it until I learned the hard way.

Should I say outloud that we used to regularly spray silicone on a noisy Powermatic mortiser? Or that we tired it on the bed of the planer before I discovered WD40 left on and not wiped off worked better?

Just seems to me there are levels of 'acceptable' risk...

KC

Allen Bookout
05-29-2005, 8:40 AM
I just figure that it is not worth the chance to gamble on it. I am glad to know that Mothers does contain silicone. Thanks! Allen

Jim Becker
05-29-2005, 9:04 AM
The issue with silicone is that it can cause serious finishing problems--and only very small contamination is necessary for that angst. Best to avoid it in the shop.

Ken Wright
05-29-2005, 9:22 AM
in my shop right now and have used it for 3-4 years. I generally only work with walnut and cherry applying a finish of BriWax Danish.

Have never had a problem. If there was going to be a problem I think it would have "surfaced" by now.

Chester Mullins
05-29-2005, 11:39 AM
I have used all kinds of Auto Wax on my cast iron.
I all of my iron looks as if I bought it yesterday.
Never had a finishing issue arise.

Dale Rodabaugh
05-29-2005, 12:16 PM
I have used them all,Turtle wax Simonize,Johnsons paste wax,etc.Thay have all worked good for me.:D :D :D

Allen Bookout
05-29-2005, 8:14 PM
I had to leave for the day but before I left I was able to pick up a can of Minwax. I remember someone saying that it was a good choice and did not contain silicone. I am going to give it a try. Cannot find Johnsons and do not want to wait for Renaissance.

Thanks for all of the replies! Allen