PDA

View Full Version : Finally a picture of my bench

Tony Shea
09-02-2013, 6:54 PM
I have been done with my bench for almost a year now and because of the 2 recent bench threads I thought I'd post a picture. I've avoided pics in the past because it too me so long to load and resize them. But I've gotten fairly quick at it so am a bit more motivated to post pictures.

My one issue with my bench is the face vise in the tail vise position. I did this because I ended up with an extra face vise (actually two) from my last bench. It also was much faster to install than a tail vise. But I do regret the decision. So anyone about to make a similar decision, DO NOT take the easy way out. The vise works but not perfectly. Even a wagon style vise would be better than this option, thanks Schwarz. So here goes, the shop is extremely cluttered at the moment as I am working on about 3 different projects in a tiny apartment shop. It is actually a long bedroom that I took over. I miss my basement shop even with the poor lighting. Thankfully I rely on hand tools a lot or the space would be un-usable.

This last picture is my one end of the small shop I'm working in. The picture makes it look slightly narrower than it really is but is def narrow. But I do find I have plenty of room between the bandsaw and bench.

Jim Koepke
09-02-2013, 7:03 PM
Looks like a good use of a small space.

My one issue with my bench is the face vise in the tail vise position. I did this because I ended up with an extra face vise (actually two) from my last bench. It also was much faster to install than a tail vise. But I do regret the decision.

What problems have you encountered with the face vise in the tail vise position?

My bench came with a face vise in both positions, so I am pretty much used to working with it that way and am thinking about keeping it that way on my next bench as soon as I get a round tuit.

jtk

Roy Lindberry
09-02-2013, 7:25 PM
I like it. I really like the use of additional lighting on the bench. I may need to do something like that.

David Weaver
09-02-2013, 7:27 PM
Nice! That's a clean work area!

Lloyd Robins
09-02-2013, 7:30 PM
Very nice. I am adding extra lighting also.

Chris Griggs
09-02-2013, 7:32 PM
I like it!

I go back and forth with liking the QR vise as an end vise. I've never really had problems with it and there are things I like about it in that postition. BUT my next bench will have a a traditional tail vise of constructed like the Nelson one in Landis book. I think I'll like that a little better overall.

Kevin Adams
09-02-2013, 7:43 PM
Tony,

Nice bench and nice shop! I wouldn't mind getting out of the basement and take over a bedroom! Is that bandsaw your only power saw? How do you like it?

Thanks for shaing.

Kevin

Tony Shea
09-02-2013, 8:20 PM
Looks like a good use of a small space.

What problems have you encountered with the face vise in the tail vise position?

My bench came with a face vise in both positions, so I am pretty much used to working with it that way and am thinking about keeping it that way on my next bench as soon as I get a round tuit.

jtk

My biggest issue with the face vise in the tail position is the lack of support under the work piece at times while planing the face of a board. I think the holes are spaced 3" or 4" apart and even then there seems to be times when too much of the board is unsupported while planing. It also sags more than a quality tail vise would during the same operation. And lastly the dog holes that are on that end of the bench cannot take a holdfast due to the parts of the vise being directly below the holes. If I'm planing a molding or some other narrow board I sometimes want to add a holdfast on that end of the bench in the middle row of holes to prevent the piece from pushing to the backside of the bench top. I'm not big on using a lot of force on the tail vise to clamp a board, or sticking board, face down on the bench as this causes the piece to want to bow. So instead of just slamming in a hold fast I have to clamp a board across the bench top to prevent it from pushing to the back of the bench. But this is only on real narrow boards. In general though, I end up wanting to use a holdfast in those holes more often than I would expect. Just my preference after having some experience with the face vise in the tail vise position. My next bench will def include a quality tail vise.

Tony Shea
09-02-2013, 8:30 PM
Tony,

Nice bench and nice shop! I wouldn't mind getting out of the basement and take over a bedroom! Is that bandsaw your only power saw? How do you like it?

Thanks for shaing.

Kevin

At the moment this is my only powered saw in use. I had to give my hybrid table saw to my father as I have no room for it at the moment. I do run into situations where I miss the table saw, but there is nothing I can't do in this shop setup that the table saw used to do. I have a lot of $ tied up in the table saw over the years, mostly in blades and jigs, so it is kind of depressing that it doesn't get used by me anymore. But honestly I like using handsaws A LOT! I used to cut tenons on the table saw but have become very proficient using handsaws and now prefer to cut tenons by hand.

As for the bandsaw, I LOVE IT! I will never be without a bandsaw again. I think a hand tool based shop is where a bandsaw really shines. I would much rather be set up with a bandsaw over a table saw, there is just no comparison. The bandsaw is safe, powerful, efficient, and most of all very versatile. I used to resaw by hand all the time. With a sharp saw I was pretty good at boards up to 10" wide, or so I thought (like I said I enjoy using handsaws). But the bandsaw just laughs at the idea of 10" wide in domestic hardwoods. If anyone is looking for a bandsaw I highly recommend checking out Grizzly. A lot of bandsaw for the $.

Judson Green
09-02-2013, 9:09 PM
Wow! I too am an apartment dweller but I've got a private basement. You must have cool neighbors and a cool landlord. How do you deal with the dust? And the noise? What do you use for wacking chisels? Metal filings from sharping saws?

Oh and nice bench nice shop.

Chris Griggs
09-02-2013, 9:11 PM
Tony, that's a 220V bandsaw isn't it? Did you run a 220 line in an apartment? :eek: Pretty cool if so.

Steve Voigt
09-02-2013, 9:27 PM
My biggest issue with the face vise in the tail position is the lack of support under the work piece at times while planing the face of a board. I think the holes are spaced 3" or 4" apart and even then there seems to be times when too much of the board is unsupported while planing.

Tony--great job! I have to include a pic of mine, b/c our benches and workspaces are so similar. Your leg vise is a lot nicer though--I'm jealous! But it's really nice to have a wood floor and some natural light, right?

About the tail vise. On my first bench, I always clamped boards between dogs with the end vise like yours, because that's how I was taught. But when I built this one, I didn't have a bench (left the old one when I moved), and I did most of the surfacing by hand, so I used all manner of makeshift devices to hold the stock still--pieces of plywood nailed to a sawhorse, boards braced against the wall, you name it.

What that experience did was to liberate me from the clamping approach. I have been using the bench for over 9 months, and I have yet to pinch a piece between dogs. Instead, I just use simple planing stops. It's been a really positive change for me. No more constant clamping/ unclamping, and the work is supported completely. I used to snicker at people like Ian Kirby, but I've come to conclude that they were right--99% of the time, you just need a stop. So, if you don't mind the suggestion, maybe a solution to your "lack of support" issue is to try getting away from the "pinching between two dogs" approach?

Anyway, nice bench and cool shop!

-Steve

Tony Shea
09-02-2013, 9:50 PM
Tony, that's a 220V bandsaw isn't it? Did you run a 220 line in an apartment? :eek: Pretty cool if so.

Yes it is. I had to work to get that outlet there. I had to fish up two floors in the walls to get to the attic. Then I had to fish back down two floors to get out by the bandsaw. That truely was a difficult task. Luckily Im an electrician so have all the tools and skills to do so. But it did take a lot of time to figure out. I did the fishing before hitting the order button, that was the deciding factor on that purchase. There was plenty of space in the electrical panel but it was just a huge deal to get out to that room without messing any walls or ceilings up.

Tony Shea
09-02-2013, 9:54 PM
Wow! I too am an apartment dweller but I've got a private basement. You must have cool neighbors and a cool landlord. How do you deal with the dust? And the noise? What do you use for wacking chisels? Metal filings from sharping saws?

Oh and nice bench nice shop.

My landlord is very cool, he's my uncle! I have no immediate neighbors. We live in the top two floors of a 3 story building. The bottom floor is a hair salon and they're hours are basically the same as my work hours. So noise isn't that big of a deal, other than my girlfriend and cats. But they are very understanding. My most used tool by far is a shop vac to constantly vacuum shavings and dust. The bandsaw is hooked up to a small dust collector that you can't really see in the picture behind the bandsaw. My situation is kind of a rarity as far as appartments are concerned.

Judson Green
09-02-2013, 10:11 PM
Luck-eee

Chris Griggs
09-03-2013, 6:09 AM
Yes it is. I had to work to get that outlet there. I had to fish up two floors in the walls to get to the attic. Then I had to fish back down two floors to get out by the bandsaw. That truely was a difficult task. Luckily Im an electrician so have all the tools and skills to do so. But it did take a lot of time to figure out. I did the fishing before hitting the order button, that was the deciding factor on that purchase. There was plenty of space in the electrical panel but it was just a huge deal to get out to that room without messing any walls or ceilings up.

Awesome! Yes, being an electrician, I imagine really helps. That's really cool that you were able to do that.

Adam Cruea
09-03-2013, 7:46 AM
My landlord is very cool, he's my uncle! I have no immediate neighbors. We live in the top two floors of a 3 story building. The bottom floor is a hair salon and they're hours are basically the same as my work hours. So noise isn't that big of a deal, other than my girlfriend and cats. But they are very understanding. My most used tool by far is a shop vac to constantly vacuum shavings and dust. The bandsaw is hooked up to a small dust collector that you can't really see in the picture behind the bandsaw. My situation is kind of a rarity as far as appartments are concerned.

Oooo! What kind of dust collector? Just curious, as I have a Laguna stuffed down in my basement for resaws, and that thing kicks up some dust that I always end up vacuuming up.

Jim Matthews
09-03-2013, 10:53 AM
Nicely done.

Beware of the Veritas hold fast, and the amount of torque applied.
The aluminum casting that accepts the threaded support rod isn't forgiving
if torqued - I pulled out the last 1/4" of threads and can't get it back in.

I was surprised to find out it wasn't steel, or at least cast iron.

Tony Shea
09-03-2013, 2:49 PM
Oooo! What kind of dust collector? Just curious, as I have a Laguna stuffed down in my basement for resaws, and that thing kicks up some dust that I always end up vacuuming up.

It is just a Rikon 1HP dust collector. This is the only tool it works on so it has been plenty to take care of most of the dust. I built a zero clearance insert down in the lower wheel cabinet just below where the blade enters. There is a little ramp that is supposed to direct the dust out the 4" port but the blade opening in the steel was massive. I didn't want to have to hook a Y hose connector in the line to hook up to the lower port so I just made a zero clearance insert to direct all the dust out the upper port. I get ZERO dust in the lower wheel cabinet now. The only left over dust is on top of the table or just under the table around the lower guide bushings. But I run the vacuum after every use. I am extremely cognitive of cleaning up the dust in the shop as I (actually my girlfriend) don't want it getting throughout the apartment.
http://www.woodcraft.com/Images/products/600/847117.jpg?rand=505379784

Christopher Charles
09-03-2013, 4:52 PM
Hello Tony,

Nice looking bench and a lovely space--I too have an (oversize) bandsaw and would happily give up all the other power tools in the shop to keep it. I notice that you also have a drill press, which i also find extremely useful and would be the next hardest to let go...

THanks for sharing,
C