PDA

View Full Version : Any better way to do this cut on a box ????

Bill Huber
09-02-2013, 12:17 PM
I made a recipe box for my wife and now my 2 daughters want one and 2 friends want them so now I have 4 to make. They are a small project but it is a fun little project.

So here is the question:

I build the box and have it all glued up, the top and bottom are added later. Now I set the table saw to 45 degrees and make the cut for the top, I am using a full kerf blade. I now have a full 1/8" 45 degree cut in the front of the box to start cutting off the top.

I now take it to the router table with a 1/8" bit, place the box over the bit at the point the 45 degree cut stops. Set the fence and a stop at that point. I make my cut with the 1/8" bit until it is just not all the way though on the one side and the back.

I now have to move the stop so I can do the other side of the box, I have to start with the bit at the end of the 45 degree cut so I will be moving in the correct direction for the bit, I don't like making clime cuts.

This works but it takes time and you have to get the fence and stops set spot on or you can get a mismatch on the top removal.

Is there a better idea on doing this, should I be looking at a completely different way to make the whole thing?
Here is the way it looks and the way it is cut.

270034 270035

Jerry Bruette
09-02-2013, 7:55 PM
Bill

Could you make a pattern of the angle cuts you want to make and double sticky it to the box, then use a 1/8 inch pattern bit and just follow the pattern. If the pattern is the same size as the box it should be easy to line up square and could be flipped over for the cuts on the other side of the box.

Jerry

Bill Huber
09-02-2013, 8:19 PM
Bill

Could you make a pattern of the angle cuts you want to make and double sticky it to the box, then use a 1/8 inch pattern bit and just follow the pattern. If the pattern is the same size as the box it should be easy to line up square and could be flipped over for the cuts on the other side of the box.

Jerry

Now that is something I hadn't thought about, I couldn't use a pattern bit but I could use a bushing and a 1/8" bit to make the cut.
Tape the pattern to the side and another one above it to keep the router square and make the whole cut. Then I could finish the front and back on the router table, with a 1/8" slot in the box sides it would be easy line up the bit on the router table.
I will have to play with that a little and see what I can do.

Larry Frank
09-02-2013, 8:24 PM
It is a beautiful box. Could you do the cuts on a band saw with a fine blade and maybe tape to avoid any splinters?

Please let us know if you come up with something as it would be useful to know.

jack forsberg
09-02-2013, 9:12 PM
don't make it as one box.

Joe Scharle
09-02-2013, 9:24 PM
Now that's a pretty neat design!

Bill Huber
09-02-2013, 10:26 PM
It is a beautiful box. Could you do the cuts on a band saw with a fine blade and maybe tape to avoid any splinters?

Please let us know if you come up with something as it would be useful to know.

That is what I had planned on doing only I don't have a riser on my saw and it wouldn't fit.

Bill Huber
09-02-2013, 10:30 PM
don't make it as one box.

I don't think I understand, make the bottom and the top separate and then put them together?

Bill Huber
09-02-2013, 10:31 PM
Now that's a pretty neat design!

One of these days I will tell you the whole story on that box, it is the box from hell....

Alan Schwabacher
09-02-2013, 11:35 PM
Why not cut the top off straight, then cut the angled part off the bottom and glue it onto the top? That would avoid the stepped look to the lighter stripe as well.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-03-2013, 12:30 AM
Bill, I like the pattern bit and pattern idea.

Rich Engelhardt
09-03-2013, 8:10 AM
Why not cut the top off straight, then cut the angled part off the bottom and glue it onto the top? That would avoid the stepped look to the lighter stripe as wellThat's what I'd try.