PDA

View Full Version : Maximizing your table size

mike wallis
05-28-2005, 4:06 PM
I thought I would share a recent project. It is a 18x24 inch Alder plaque but my table is only 12x18 inches. By taking off the front vent on a Epilog mini you can actually double you table size if there is a breaking point in the piece to be engraved. Just engrave the first side then rotate 180 degrees and do the other side. Although I knew it could be done this was the first time I actually attemped it on a real job and it was not only simple to do but came out very good. So all you Mini owners out there remember that you not always limited by the table size.
Mike

Bob Tate
05-28-2005, 5:52 PM
That is wonderful news to me. I just ordered a mini 18, thinking it is the most bang for the buck for me right now. I am looking forward to getting the machine but was a little hesitant about the small table. I wonder why Epilog does not advertise that capability? Or do they maybe recommend not doing it?

I have a question, if I may. Are these CO2 lasers dangerous to our eyes? I use a laser, actually four separate lasers in one head, at work. It is a 25 watt fiber laser used for engraving printing plates. It is supposed to be extremely dangerous to the eyes. It is completely enclosed, with interlocks to turn the laser off if a door is opened. I guess this would not be the case with CO2 as they have clear windows on top. Do you know if there is any danger?

Thanks,

Bob

Michael McDuffie
05-28-2005, 6:26 PM
Bob,
These Co2 laser is dangerous to everything it touches.;)

Actually, if you are concerned about reflected energy, it's my understanding that the energy is reduced due to it going out of focus and the balance is consumed by the lid.

You'd have to rig up some mirrors or such to get the beam out of the cabinet when the front is removed.

My Epilog manual made more of a big deal about the red dot pointer. If you are using it to set a piece, it is possible to reflect it into your eyes or stick your head into the cabinet and look straight into it.

Always remember this, "Never look into laser with remaining eye".:eek:

Michael

Bob Tate
05-28-2005, 6:58 PM
Thank you for the reply. I really didn't want to look at the laser, my eyes are bad enough (GRIN). I appreciate the advice. Wow, this opens up a lot of possibilities.

This forum is great! What an asset.

Bill Stein
05-28-2005, 9:05 PM
I'm not an expert but let me put in my two cents worth in the hopes of avoiding a tradegy until we get better information. My laser has a front loading door as well as the top door and the front door has all of the safety interlocks that the top door has. Common sense tells me that those safety interlocks are there for a GOOD reason and it probably does not have to do with making sure there is a good airflow through the machine. In fact, my rep told me that if I ever decided to try to defeat the interlocks in order to engrave something that was sticking out of my front door I had better be wearing laser safety glasses.

My red pointer will fire with the top or front door open but the CO2 laser will not. That tells me something.

J Porter
05-28-2005, 9:09 PM
I don't know about other manufacturers, but I found it very fascinating that my Pinnacle M-25 from SignWareHouse actually included a pair of safety glasses. They make several comments in the manual about using. There are also little warning stickers on the top of the system. I felt this was a nice, customer-oriented touch.

The Pinnacle has 3 doors: top, front and back. All 3 doors have safety interlock switches which shut off power to the laser beam if one is open.
~Joe

Oh... very nice work on that plaque.

mike wallis
05-28-2005, 9:54 PM
I once spoke with a tech support guy at Epilog about the safety issues with the laser. He basicly said that if you are engraving a materal that is reflective (Metal, etc) then there is a chance that the beam could bounce around in the unit.
On the other hand i've heard a rummor of a wall catching on fire from the pass through doors being open, not confirmed but it sounds possible.
In all its always to be safe than sorry, I would recomend wearing the glasses when the doors are open or any chance of the beam excaping.
Mike

Michael McDuffie
05-28-2005, 11:24 PM
My guess is that the glasses are for the red dot pointer.

My 70 watt machine will cut through 3/8 thick wood, nearly through 1/2 plastic in the first pass and can cut aluminum foil in one pass. I'm thinking that colored plastic safety glasses are not going to slow it down. Could be that they are for incidental reflections and not direct line of sight. Didn't think of that at first.

On the other hand, I've used shade 5 welding goggles to watch as I'm cutting leather as I'm pretty sure there is a stong UV component in the bright light emitted.

The Epilog Legend only has switches on the lid, the front panel is held on with three screws.

Michael

Rodne Gold
05-29-2005, 4:43 AM
With the pass thru , its almost impossible to get hit in the eye with a scattered or reflected beam unless you have the top open (on a GCC that is) . The glasses are meant for when you are in service mode and are firing for alignment or as a further safety measure if you defeat the interlocks.
I also got some eye irritation - almost like welders eyes when engraving directly into Stainless with a 30 W (100% power and .1or .2% speed)
The bright white light generated was extremely intense and the cover didnt seem to absorb whatever it was emitting.
The biggest problem with the open laser is not the beam , but the fact that your evacuation system is almost non existant and fumes cant be removed effectively leading to poor quality cutting and a decrease in laser power as the laser is now in a very smokey environment etc etc.

Robert Alexander
05-30-2005, 12:29 PM
Hi everyone,
Here is my 2 cent's worth on this issue of cutting oversized parts. This was one of the reasons why I finally went with the helix from epilog. I wanted to do large pieces. And when I talked to the rep. in Las Vegas, he said I could remove the front panel, and flip my piece around after lasering one half of the part. So now I have the ability to do a 36 x 24 inch piece from a 18 x 24inch table. As for the smoke issue I work at a sheetmetal shop so I plan on making a metal box with a table that I can roll up to the laser, painted grey on the inside to miimize reflections of the laser beam( 24 gauge) with 1 open end and the oppsite end will have a door so I can slide the part through the box and into the laser, and close the door, so the smoke, fumes and laser beam will not excape. Also if you are just doing only one part a cardboard box and the wonder tool duct tape will work also.:)

mike wallis
05-30-2005, 1:41 PM
Robert,
I can't say anything about the Helix but the smoke/fume issue excapeing is not a problem with the front vent open on the Mini. Judging from the photos on Epilogs website the Helix basicly has the same outer design and venting as the Mini. By removing the front vent all your really doing venting wise is making a bigger intake. If your dust collector has enough CFM, excaping smoke/fumes will not be a problem.