PDA

View Full Version : Local Sheet Good Purchase Report

Scott Coffelt
05-28-2005, 1:29 PM
For those in the KC area, I visited Liberty Hardwoods yesterday. First of all, totally not what I would have imagined. Second, I bought 7 sheets of various goods (Baltic, Maple & Birch). Unlike the borgs, these guys get your order and then bring to your truck via fork. Quick inspection of the wood looked good. I got home and I am not pleased with one sheet, looks like a banana. I will call them on Tuesday, but it was a 40 minute drive for me so I am not pleased. I may have to set aside and have them pick up when I order more, or take back when I buy more. Eitherway, not pleased. I ordered a small sample of what I would be using. One positive thing. Their price on Maple ply was only a $1 more per sheet than Birch. I will be going that route from now one.

Greg Mann
05-28-2005, 1:33 PM
Scott,

Be sure and let us all know how you are treated when you do take it back.

Greg

jack duren
05-28-2005, 1:48 PM
Greg... they will take care of him just fine. i promise :)

when buying such a small order it would work out best to inspect each sheet. in most cases all sheets are pulled off the one bundle.

liberty hardwoods use to not sell to the public and getting an account was difficult. is there no way to use the sheet in an area not so much seen?

i do know that the Window Factory closed its doors to the public and only can be purchased through a salesman.

liberty is much better than dealing with Paxtons ;) ....jack

M. A. Espinoza
05-28-2005, 7:11 PM
Greg... they will take care of him just fine. i promise :)

liberty is much better than dealing with Paxtons ;) ....jack

I don't have any affiliation with Paxton's other than being a customer and having worked in a few shops over the years that used them. They have never been a hassle to work with.

I had some bad sheets of oak ply in a shipment; called my salesman, next day it was taken care of. No hassles.

I've gotten good stuff and bad stuff from Paxton's but they've never caused problems if I reject anything. They'll even hand select if you don't go to the well too often.

But if Liberty is a better deal, then that's enough reason to go with them. I'll give them a call next job and see how they rate.

jack duren
05-28-2005, 7:27 PM
Paxtons problem in the past was there head was swelled. send you a fair product a few times, complain and they take action. lil too late in the industry. companies expect quality control. a good salesman should know what a veteran customer expects.

now i deal with Paxtons. buy most my sheet goods come from Liberty. was buying SALICE hinges from paxtons. seems between BAER and Paxtons each has a lil this and a lil that.

but online buying has taken most my hardware business....jack

Steve Roxberg
05-29-2005, 12:40 AM
Scott,

I'm willing to guess the sheet you didn't like was the $31 4x8 birch. That's what I bought that was a piece of junk. One phone call, and the money paid for that sheet was in my mailbox and I got to keep the sheet.

I won't buy that product again, but only buy from Liberty when I can.

Mike Mortenson
05-29-2005, 9:13 AM
Liberty is very good to make things right. I had a sheet that was bad and they refunded my money. I just recieved 130 shts of poplar plywood from them last week for a construction project.