PDA

View Full Version : Hated the storage box that came with my Kreg Jig so...

Matt Meiser
09-01-2013, 11:46 AM
I bought a K4 several months ago when I sold my Foreman but hated the box it came with. When Woodcraft had the Tanos Systainers on sale a month or two ago I picked one up and then ordered some of the Fastcap Kaizen Foam someone is selling on Ebay pre-cut for Systainers. Here's the result. Turned out well, but basically ridiculously expensive in the end.

Dan Rude
09-01-2013, 1:01 PM
Looks great Matt, but will you be able to modify it for the new K-5. I just bought their tool chest (Actually a Husky copy on closeout $14.95) it holds everything but is a jumbo mess. I am going to see how everything fits in one of the Plano Power tool boxes for my poor man version. How did you like the Fastcap Kaizen Foam? Thinking of getting some to use in my tool boxes. Dan

Matt Meiser
09-01-2013, 1:24 PM
Dan, it takes a little practice to get vertically straight cuts. The big recess for the jig is not straight but things got better as I went. I did find that sharp brad point and forstner bits gave acceptable results for the round stuff. It doesn't tear out as cleanly at the bottom of your recess as they lead you to believe but its acceptable. Certainly better than "pick and pluck" foam or no organization. I'd like to get a big piece of it to organize some other stuff in my shop--for one my screwdriver drawer(s).

Wade Lippman
09-01-2013, 4:44 PM
I just dump them in and it works out fine. Of course, I also have the main piece permanently fixed to a base with side supports. You set it up each time?!

Matt Meiser
09-01-2013, 5:32 PM
Yes. I just clamp it to my MFT with clamping elements. I'm using pocket holes less and dominos more so no need for a permanent setup. Just did face frames today and really liked the result as I got much flatter joints.

johnny means
09-02-2013, 12:52 AM
The contractor in me cringed to see that much tool box occupied by so little stuff. Surely you plan on piling in a few chisels, a drill, couple of planes, plumb bob, chalk line, etc , etc...

Vince Shriver
09-02-2013, 9:14 AM
The contractor in me cringed to see that much tool box occupied by so little stuff. Surely you plan on piling in a few chisels, a drill, couple of planes, plumb bob, chalk line, etc , etc...

Maybe throw in a lunch while you're at it!

Matt Meiser
09-02-2013, 9:24 AM

No but more Kreg stuff isn't out of the question. I could definitely squeeze more in there. The second clamp could move next to the first and a small organizer with a small assortment of screws for travel would fit. That said, mine will rarely go "on site" and even more rarely leave our property.

Dan Rude
09-02-2013, 9:25 AM
Matt, when I was looking at the Kaizen foam a while back. They used a torch to heat up a pipe to make finger holes for pick-up holes and the hole saws for larger ones. Dan

Mike Heidrick
09-02-2013, 10:50 AM
The cube foam from festoal is great. http://www.amazon.com/Festool-497878-Diced-Foam-Insert/dp/B0058HUIOI/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hi_5. I think it works better for drill bits and router bits, no holes required. I dont even have to pull out the cubes. I use them for cnc bits and collets I use constantly.