PDA

View Full Version : Love the un-loveable!

Dick Brown
09-01-2013, 11:35 AM
I don't have any woodworking projects going at the moment but three old Craftsman table saws have followed me home in the last few weeks. As a 1930's depression survivor, former metal fabricator, part time mechanic, and 11 year shop teacher (mostly welding), I hate to see these old gals go to the scrap yard when they still could make a good saw for a homeowner or hobbyist. I have a rule that I buy them for $25.00 or less. Put about $50. in the fence material, few $ plus old lawn mower wheels in drop-down mobile system, $20. in paint, $10.-$20. in bolts, sand paper, etc. Make Big$$$ when I sell them for $200.-250. after 20+ hours of labor!!! (LOL) 269855269856 269852269854269853

david brum
09-01-2013, 12:16 PM
That's a beautiful fence that you knocked out for $50. Dang. Somebody is going to get a jewel.

Jason White
09-01-2013, 12:30 PM
You do beautiful work!!

I don't have any woodworking projects going at the moment but three old Craftsman table saws have followed me home in the last few weeks. As a 1930's depression survivor, former metal fabricator, part time mechanic, and 11 year shop teacher (mostly welding), I hate to see these old gals go to the scrap yard when they still could make a good saw for a homeowner or hobbyist. I have a rule that I buy them for $25.00 or less. Put about $50. in the fence material, few $ plus old lawn mower wheels in drop-down mobile system, $20. in paint, $10.-$20. in bolts, sand paper, etc. Make Big$$$ when I sell them for $200.-250. after 20+ hours of labor!!! (LOL) 269855269856 269852269854269853

johnny means
09-01-2013, 12:32 PM
Wish you were closer to me. I would gladly have a few things restored at that rate:D

Dan Rude
09-01-2013, 1:22 PM
Makes me think I should hold onto my C-Man. Barring not being able to purchase one of your gems, could you do a how too making the fence sometime. I am also trying to figure out your all terrain wheel assembly? Is it just the 2 wheels? Thanks in advance for what ever you can share. They are nice machines. Dan

Rick Fisher
09-01-2013, 2:18 PM
Wow you did a really nice job. There is a real satisfaction in saving a machine from the scrap yard and giving it a fresh start.

Jim Matthews
09-01-2013, 2:45 PM
The lawnmower wheels got me to thinking (when the trouble starts) -

does anybody race these? There could be stock and modified classes...

Dick Brown
09-01-2013, 6:13 PM
Dan, Hold on to your C-man! I didn't mention that I only work on the belt drives. Motor goes out on one of them, easy and relatively cheap replacement. I would love to post a "How to" on the fence and also the wheel system but I am not a draftsman nor a video maker. Any of those close to Prineville, Oregon that would like to do it?? There are just the two wheels. Tip the saw to the right, wheels drop down and latch. Go to the right end of your saw table, lift it up and play wheelbarrow to where you want to go, set down ,go to left side of saw, tip back to right, unlatch, set back on it's feet. With wheels toward center of weight, takes only maybe less than 20 lb. lift to pick up and move. As you can see in the photos, there is a rust problem on some of them. I usually scrape with a razor blade, then wire wheel, then belt sander, wipe down with paint thinner, hand sand if needed and paste wax for protection. I will hang on another picture or two of the fence and wheel system. 269894269895269896

Mike Olson
09-03-2013, 3:02 PM
I'm actually heading out tonight to buy one that looks almost exactly like this. It's 3 HP, cast iron wings "no rust", and a wooden rolling base for $100

I'm very interested in your fence. It almost looks like you used barn door track and the door hanger with the wheels turned around. is that correct or is this something completely custom?

If you are able to give a parts list and dimensions that would be HUGE for me.

Thanks,
Mike

Oh, and i'm a Neander dragging my knuckles back into the 21st century.

Dick Brown
09-03-2013, 3:52 PM
Mike, The fence is what I call a Biesemeyer Jr. clone. Very near to the Bies. Home Shop but as near as I have been able to find, they no longer make it. May have stopped making it when Delta bought Bies. as it would have been in competition with the Delta T2. I had a T2 and it was not even close to the Bies. Home Shop in my opinion. If you look in the pics. you will see I have added sliders at each end of the front side of the "T" to keep the fence straight when moving. The Bies. used laminate or uhmw and allen screws to adjust. I used that on some but have used modified brass 3/8 flat head truck brake block bolts on one, 1/2" plastic bolts with thinned heads, standard stainless bolts with the head thinned down, and one I am doing now will have 1/2" grade 5 steel bolts with the heads thinned down and a slight crown on them. All seem to work equally well. Inner angle is tapped and adjusting bolts treaded through from the inside and a Jam nut on the back side. Key is to keep the rail clean and a slight wax coating. I can hear it now! "Never wax the rail as the fence will slip" Adjusted properly and it wont happen. The angle bolted to the saw is 2"x2-1/2"x3/16" Rail is 1-1/2x2-1/2x1/8. Same tube for the fence itself. I use a 1-1/2 angle across the back of the saw and a uhmw block to ride on it rather than on the table. Hope this helps. Still need that draftsman to come draw some plans for you guys. Interesting link that I will hang on. Hope it is O.K. http://toolmonger.com/2006/07/09/biesemeyers-home-shop-fence-systems/ The posted links in the article don't work for me so assume they are way outdated.

Anthony Whitesell
09-03-2013, 3:55 PM
Hey, my '52 C-man TS and my ?? year delta drill press resembled that. I picked up a 1/4 sheet palm sander for $5 or $10 at a yard sale on which I use wet/dry 220 and, using paint thinner, wet sand the rust off. I sand for a while then wipe off, and repeat. When I get close to the end, I will switch sheets to make sure I can see if there is any rust being removed. For the '52 TS, I only used one sheet of sand paper throughout the whole refinishing process. The miter gauge in my '52 craftsman moves less than 0.002" left to right. My '04 craftsman moves more than 0.010". I can't figure out how anyone could ever make a square cut with the mitre gauge on that saw.

Frederick Skelly
09-03-2013, 9:35 PM
Thats neat Dick!

I couldnt quite figure how the wheels move up and down - can you describe it or post another pic?

Fred

Mike Olson
09-04-2013, 8:38 AM
Mike, The fence is what I call a Biesemeyer Jr. clone.

Thank you for the info. I'll bookmark this so I can hopefully figure it out if I can't get the existing fence tuned properly.

Dick Brown
09-05-2013, 11:21 AM
Fred, Hope the pictures help. Dick270272270273270274270275270276

Frederick Skelly
09-05-2013, 10:19 PM
That helped a lot Dick.Thank you!
Fred

Dan Rude
09-06-2013, 1:47 AM
Dick, Thank you for helping all of us out with your Pics and explanations of your modifications. I plan on trying your wheel setup. Dan