PDA

View Full Version : Thread on grinder

Pete Copeland
09-01-2013, 10:21 AM
Does anybody know what is the thread on this Woodcraft slow-speed grinder?

I must have whacked the outside of the spindle (or is it called an arbor?) at some time. When I took off the nut the bad threads damaged the nut and it won't go back on (on either side). I think I have filed off the offending smooshed threads on the spindle but the nut is a gonner. So I need a new nut. Based on the fact that everything I have tried from my collection of random nuts has failed and the fact that this device was made in China, I'm thinking the thread is metric. I have one of those thread-checking devices from Rockler (very nice, btw) but it doesn't go that big. Anybody have any suggestions for what this thread is?

Thanks for the help.

-Pete

Mike Cruz
09-01-2013, 10:39 AM
Sorry, Pete, I can't help you out with what the thread is. If no one can give you a definite answer, maybe call woodcraft (ask for their tech support as I'm sure the order takers would have no idea).

Mel Fulks
09-01-2013, 10:59 AM
I bet Woodcraft will help you .Metric doesn't mean doesn't mean a lot IMO. There are some odd thread pitches in metric.
We had a Swedish machine machine with one we could not find .Even checked with a Volvo dealer . Just drilled out and replaced.

Tim Rinehart
09-01-2013, 11:36 AM
As a double check, measure outside diameter of spindle thread to nearest mm. Measure the distance between threads, the larger sizes in the range I'd expect that nut would be either 1, 1.5, or 2 threads per mm. That defines thread size, i.e, M20 x 1.5 is 20 mm diam, and 1.5 threads per mm.

Pete Copeland
09-02-2013, 6:32 PM
And the answer is......

M16-2.0.

i now have my new CBN wheel mounted and sharpening.