PDA

View Full Version : Spraying GF Arm-R-Seal with Graco X7...

Michael Dunn
09-01-2013, 9:12 AM
Hey guys!

I'm getting ready to clear coat my current project. A few weeks ago I bought the Graco X7. I plan to use GF Arm-R-Seal. GF says, "can be sprayed using a .040" fluid tip, medium cap"

I can't find a Graco .040" tip. Any advice? Sounds crazy, but can it be drilled out to the .040" diameter?

John TenEyck
09-01-2013, 11:12 AM
Can't help you with the gun, Mike, but why not just wipe on the Arm-R-Seal. Even if you figure out how to spray it, the overspray is going to make a mess on whatever it hits. Arm-R-Seal wipes on very easily; some have good success with a foam brush. If you want to spray get a good WB topcoat. EnduroVar looks a lot like Arm-R-Seal, sprays beautifully, and the overspray doesn't make a big mess.

John

Michael Dunn
09-01-2013, 2:45 PM
I've been wanting to spray due to the more even look and feel, but mostly the ease of application and speed. This is a fairly large project. Two large built-in shelving units on each side of a fire place.

So this other stuff you recommend has less of an overspray issue? How is one clear coat or the other less susceptible to over spray?

John TenEyck
09-01-2013, 3:46 PM
Michael, Arm-R-Seal is an oil based varnish. When you spray it the overspray doesn't dry until after it lands on something. Whatever the overspray lands on will become a sticky mess that will eventually dry to a crusty mess. With waterbased topcoats, like EnduroVar or nearly any other one, the overspray is pretty much dry before it hits anything and forms a powder that can easily be vacuumed up. There's no less overspray, it's just that it isn't much of a problem. Note: You still have to tape off/cover anything close by. Also, the WB products will dry in an hour while Arm-R-Seal takes at least 12 hours. You can easily apply 2 or 3 coats of WB in one day, and be done. With Arm-R-Seal you're looking at at least 2 days and probably 3. Finally, the stink factor favors the WB topcoats by a wide margin. EnduroVar, in particular, has very little odor. You still need to wear an organics respirator while you are spraying, however.

Don't get me wrong, I love Arm-R-Seal. I just wouldn't use it on such a large project where spraying is the best method of application.

John

Art Mann
09-01-2013, 9:45 PM
Are you sure the .040 tip recommendation refers to an airless sprayer? That sounds more like a HVLP sprayer tip to me. They do not work the same way and the recommendation cannot be for both. Airless sprayer tips are typically a much, much smaller bore.

I think I would investigate getting an HVLP sprayer or conversion gun for use with varnishes and laquers.

Rich Engelhardt
09-02-2013, 6:01 AM
+1 to what Art says.

A .040 airless tip is going to put out over a gallon per min. and is more suited to spraying drywall mud than anything else.

Edit to add:

"Recommended Spray Tips for Wood Stains and Top Coats. Fluid tip sizes should be as follows: Compressed air - .040, HVLP - .051, Airless - .009. Recommended Tips for Milk Paint. Compressed air - .050, HVLP - .072, Airless - .013. Air caps should be medium size. Contact your supplier to verify proper tip sizes for your specific equipment."

This is what GFF says on their website.
The .040 tip is for a conventional spray.
The X7 would use the .009 fine finish airless tip.

Michael Dunn
09-03-2013, 6:44 PM
Great advice guys! I ended up just using my POS husky HVLP gun. It turned out nice. I'm returning the Graco now. I think I'll just get a good HVLP gun.

John TenEyck
09-03-2013, 7:07 PM
How did you handle the overspray?

John

Alan Lightstone
09-03-2013, 9:01 PM

John
I was wondering that too.

Michael Dunn
09-08-2013, 1:43 PM

John

I did it in my driveway. Less than desirable, sure, but its all I can do for now.

John TenEyck
09-08-2013, 2:10 PM
I did it in my driveway. Less than desirable, sure, but its all I can do for now.

That's sort of funny. Your second post suggested to me that you would be finishing those builts in in place. Just shows how easy it is to misinterpret what someone means. Anyway, glad it worked out. How many bugs, pets or children are stuck to all that overspray in your driveway? Kidding.

John

Michael Dunn
09-08-2013, 5:03 PM
Just a couple of birds and squirrels stuck to them... LOL!!!

Seriously though, it turned out pretty good considering the working conditions.

I was a bit confused as to what you meant about the overspray at first until your last post. I see now why you asked.