PDA

View Full Version : Bench Cabinet

Tom Scott
05-14-2003, 2:13 AM
I finally got around to finishing the tool cabinet under my workbench that I made about a year ago. Like the bench, it is made out of southern yellow pine...softer than maple, but hey, it's cheap. Used mostly handtools in the construction...hand cut the dovetailed drawers (this was also my first try at half-blind D-T's).
The drawers keep all my chisels, layout and marking tools, sharpening stones, and until I get around to the plane cabinet, a portion of my hand planes. Behind the center door are 2 pull-out slides to hold my back saws.
The finish is BLO, shellac, and wax to match the bench.
Thanks for looking,
Tom

Tom Scott
05-14-2003, 2:16 AM
More pics of cabinet to follow...

Tom Scott
05-14-2003, 2:19 AM
one more showing my first half-blind dovetails...

Mark Mazzo
05-14-2003, 8:15 AM
Really nice work Tom. I still need to add the same kind of cabinet to my bench. Your's gives me some inspiration.

It's hard to tell in the picture, what do you have hanging on that center section behind the door?

--Mark

Tom Scott
05-14-2003, 9:53 AM
Behind the door there are a couple of vertical dividers that can slide out. I use those for storage of my dovetail and various other back saws. I pointed out to my wife that there are still some open slots that should be filled to bring my world into equilibrium. I don't think she was buying it though.

Robert Goodwin
05-14-2003, 1:15 PM
I am planning something very similar. I like the vertical pullouts. I may need to change my plans to add something like that. I will be starting my bench as soon as I finish the built-in barbecue. I better hurry, its supposed to be 100 degrees by this weekend.

Good Work,
Rob

Von Bickley
05-14-2003, 2:39 PM
Tom,

Great looking cabinet. I need cabinets under my bench and under my outfeed table. Thanks for sharing the pictures with us.

Paul Geer
05-14-2003, 4:07 PM
Good going Tom, on the hand cut dove tails, You said first time on half-blind DT, I take it you have hand cut through dove tails before, haven't tried either one by hand as yet.

Paul Barnard
05-14-2003, 4:42 PM
I love those vertical pull outs. Great idea and a nice job

Tom Scott
05-14-2003, 5:22 PM
Paul,
Yep, first time for the half-blind dovetails, but I've cut a few through DT's by hand before. Come to think of it, it's the only way I've ever cut dovetails (I actually have a router, but it RARELY sees any action). The half-blinds were easier than I thought they would be. There is a little more layout time, but the cutting and fitting wasn't any more difficult than though DT's. Doing 8 drawers was good practice for me. After the first couple I didn't really even bother to test the fit...I knew if I sawed to the line or not.
if you can't tell, this was a fun little project for me.

Tom

Jim Izat
05-14-2003, 5:23 PM
I could barely make out the smaller ones with my ever older eyes!

Many thanks,

Jim

Ralph Johnson
05-15-2003, 2:52 AM
Great looking bench. Some more great ideas for my future bench.

Ralph

Tom Stovell
05-15-2003, 10:44 AM
Nice work on the cabinets and congratulations on the dovetails..they look good! Seems like you've inspired quite a few of us to do something with that space under the bench.
My cardboard boxes just don't seem to cut it after looking at your solution.

Thanks,
Tom

Ken Wright
05-15-2003, 1:16 PM
Someday, when I have a permanent place for my shop ... I'm gonna build a nice bench. All that storeage and workspace would be really nice to have.

Congrats on a job well done!

Charles McKinley
05-16-2003, 9:12 PM
Great ideas Tom