PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Myrtle HF with a little embelishment

Kathy Marshall
08-31-2013, 9:27 PM
I turned this little hf back in April as seen here http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?201761-Oregon-Myrtle-HF-to-embellish-or-not. I turned it green to finish and just sanded it, no finish applied while I decided what, if any embellishment I wanted to add.

I got it out a few days ago to start working on it. It had dried nicely, the hole is very slightly out of round but otherwise there is no noticeable movement.

Using the growth rings as a guide, I started out by using a ball cutter in my Foredom to carve the dimples. Once that was done, I switched to a little carbide cutter and started piercing inside the ring. I wasn't worrying much about the size of the holes and concentrated more on trying to get a consistent size on the borders. I got a little too thin on a few of the borders and broke through on one, so I just enlarged the hole to smooth out the sides.

It's 5 1/2" x 5" and I've applied a couple coats of antique oil.

Before After
269792 269791

Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Len Mullin
08-31-2013, 10:15 PM
Nice looking embellishment, I wouldn't have the nerve to try that. I'd hate to ruin the HF, which is what would happen. Len

mike ash
08-31-2013, 10:27 PM
Beautiful Kathy!!! I really like what you have done with this piece.

Roger Chandler
08-31-2013, 10:30 PM
Very nice work as usual Kathy! I admire your skill! That being said........on this particular form, I like the wood without the embellishment better. I guess each of us has different tastes. While your embellishment is nicely done, I think the overall form is prettier with just the wood........I think you nailed the form............very pretty!

Jon Nuckles
08-31-2013, 10:38 PM
I really like the embellishment, but have to say that I am so impressed by your eye for form. They are always spot on.

Michelle Rich
09-01-2013, 6:44 AM
lookin' good. like your outcome.

Bill Hensley
09-01-2013, 8:26 AM
That really appeals to me. Well done!

Tim Rinehart
09-01-2013, 11:51 AM
I really like this. Enhancing to the existing grain like this makes an interesting piece that doesn't lose itself in possibly getting overdone. Beautiful!

Kathy Marshall
09-02-2013, 7:42 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone!