PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Hollowed Form with Texturing

BILL DONAHUE
08-31-2013, 6:09 PM
Cherry hollowed form, 8 1/4" x 4 1/2" textured with rub n' buff and finished in Odie's Oil. This is the outcome of my first AAW Symposium and being very impressed with demos by Mark Gardner and Nick Agar. After seeing Nick Agar using the Sorby texturing tool, I got one and it's fun to use and produces some interesting results. The piece was about 90%+ finished when I had an accident and lost about 1/4" of the band around it forcing me to reshape it and that resulted in an overall form that I'm not happy with. Such is woodturning! (The jury is still out on Odie's Oil and I'd be interested in the opinions of others - I must be doing something wrong) (so how do I edit the misspelling of the title?)

Mike Peace
08-31-2013, 6:35 PM
I like the shape and think you did a great job with the texturing and coloring. I am guessing the form is joined in the middle and turned as two separate pieces?

Harry Robinette
08-31-2013, 9:31 PM
Bill
I really like this piece, I think the bands really set the whole thing off. I'm waiting to see Nick Agar at Cincinnati in Oct.

John M. Smith
08-31-2013, 9:54 PM
Very nice piece. The coloring really sets this one off. The texturing is spot on from what I can see.

Michelle Rich
09-01-2013, 6:47 AM
I like the neck treatment..looks great

Bill Hensley
09-01-2013, 8:20 AM
Well it's obvious you were paying attention in the demo. Excellent job all around. I think it's a beauty!

BILL DONAHUE
09-01-2013, 9:57 PM
I like the shape and think you did a great job with the texturing and coloring. I am guessing the form is joined in the middle and turned as two separate pieces?

Mike, it is two pieces but turned as one then hollowed as two. Mark Gardner calls his demo "hollowed forms the easy way." However, I'm not using his method to make it easy, just possible. Have been trying something different with my hollowed forms and foregoing a finial in favor of a classic Roman or Greek funnel shaped top. Just trying to do my own thing. The hole in the top looks best if it's 5/8" or so and hollowing through a hole that narrow is beyond my ability.

Kathy Marshall
09-02-2013, 7:34 PM
Very nice Bill! I like the form and the texturing, and the rub-n-buff is a nice accent.