PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take to install Windows hotfix for Vista

Clarence Martin
08-31-2013, 11:10 AM
What is the average time it takes to complete Windows hotfix for Vista ? It's Hotfix KB947821. It's got the green bar that;'s about 3/4 of the way through , but taking an awfully long time to complete.

Brian Elfert
08-31-2013, 1:28 PM
Some Windows patches will take up to 15 minutes to complete, especially if they are .Net framework patches. Can't comment on that specific patch. Progress bars for Microsoft products are notoriously inaccurate. They can get to 3/4 done in 60 seconds and then the last 1/4 takes five minutes.

Clarence Martin
08-31-2013, 2:17 PM
This has been at it for almost an hour. I can hear the hard drive on the computer doing it's chuga , chuga noise (Whatever it's called :D ) when it's downloading an update, but still going nowhere.

paul cottingham
08-31-2013, 6:45 PM
When I was still teaching tech stuff, we used to call them "Microsoft Minutes" to distinguish them for real minutes. Microsoft minutes have no basis in the regular space time continuum, one Microsoft minute can last 20 secs or literally 20 minutes. Microsoft, in its wisdom, changed the definition of a minute to "however long it takes."
Be patient. Swearing helps the time go by faster.

Brian Elfert
08-31-2013, 7:43 PM
This has been at it for almost an hour. I can hear the hard drive on the computer doing it's chuga , chuga noise (Whatever it's called :D ) when it's downloading an update, but still going nowhere.

Is it downloading, or installing? Slow downloads from Microsoft are pretty normal, but an hour is a bit long. My employer has a very fast Internet connection and downloading Windows updates are usually slower than molasses.

Clarence Martin
09-01-2013, 9:31 AM
Downloaded their little "Hotfix" Didn't work. Looks like it is time to buy a new computer. This old computer is 6 years old. Now the only question is: Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 or wait till 2014 for Window 9 to come on the market.

Myk Rian
09-01-2013, 11:25 AM
How. much ram is in the machine?

Matt Meiser
09-01-2013, 12:00 PM
Downloaded their little "Hotfix" Didn't work. Looks like it is time to buy a new computer. This old computer is 6 years old. Now the only question is: Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 or wait till 2014 for Window 9 to come on the market.

Not sure what you were expecting it to fix but they usually aren't very dramatic. They certainly aren't going to fix a failing piece of hardware or a virus/malware infection. And Vista wasn't know for its greatness.

Anything you find running Windows 7 is going to be at least a year old machine at this point. Windows 7 basically disappeared from the Dell store in a matter of a couple weeks this past winter (between when my wife's laptop died and when my laptop died) and Windows 7 machines were on clearance at all the big box stores at that time. For mine (and then a few weeks later, my dad--it was a rough winter on PCs for the Meiser's of SE Michigan :eek:) I ordered machines with Windows 8 then pulled the original drives and installed an SSD and loaded 7. I also considered a Mac for myself but I would have had to spend double which I couldn't justify in my own mind, or to my wife.

Windows 8 is a big learning curve as it marks the transition from a conventional PC-focused OS to a touch-focused OS and like it or not that's where we're headed. Its not perfect but I think I'm going to give it a shot when 8.1 is released.

Brian Elfert
09-01-2013, 12:13 PM
You can still get current model PCs with Windows 7, but they are business PCs and generally cost more. Now, business PCs don't always have the latest technology because big businesses want to be able to buy the exact same PC for a year or more.

For most home users buying last year's model in a PC will generally be enough for web browsing, email, and the like. PCs are getting faster than the average user needs. We still have five year old desktop PCs for almost everyone where I work and they work just fine for the majority of workers. A few workers that need it got new PCs late last year.

Matt Meiser
09-01-2013, 12:34 PM
I was specifically speaking about computers aimed at the home/small business market. True, you don't necessarily need the latest/greatest, but if you buy a year old PC its going to be a 5 year old PC in 4 years instead of 5.

Clarence Martin
09-01-2013, 1:56 PM
1 GB Ram . Can load up to 4 GB of Ram.

Frank Trinkle
09-02-2013, 12:03 AM
1 GB Ram . Can load up to 4 GB of Ram.

There's your problem. 1GB is nowhere near sufficient for today's operating systems and software. Definitely time for a new computer, and at least 8GB of RAM at the minimum. (RAM is cheap).

Maybe time to move up to a Mac!:D You can also run Windows on a Mac, and you'll be happier in the end...trust me!
Just as a side note, Vista cured me of the Microsoft disease. Worst OS that Microsoft ever released....and Win 8 is getting similar reviews.

Good luck.

Rich Engelhardt
09-02-2013, 8:51 AM
Too funny....

My experience with Apple is that they are long on promise, short on delivery.
The only difference between Microsoft garbage and Apple garbage is the extra $$ you spend on the Apple trash.

None of them are really ready for prime time.

Dave Sheldrake
09-02-2013, 9:12 AM
Worst OS that Microsoft ever released

Remember Windows ME ;) somebody went through the reject code bin to make that pile of junk.

Operating systems seem to be the only thing we can buy that requires fixing from day one, bit like buying a car who's wheels you know are going to fall off and accepting it as normal.

Win7 64Bit on 8 gig of ram with a decent processor , chuck in a 2 Gig graphix card Clarence and you will be fine, if you can get a pre-build with an SSD main drive so much the better.

No matter which part you upgrade you will always be chasing the slowest component, I used to be a compulsive up-grader, soon as a new part came out I had to have it, I learned quickly the benefits aren't there and it was a great way to throw money away. Even the fastest PC's start to bog down when they get filled with general rubbish.

6 months down the road whatever you buy will be worth half as much as you paid, that's just PC's in general sadly :)

cheers

Dave

Rich Engelhardt
09-03-2013, 6:47 AM
that's just PC's in general sadlyEven more sad is that it's now extending beyond the PC to any had held personal electronic device.
My iPhone is every bit as flakey and unreliable as any Win-tel machine ever was or is.