PDA

View Full Version : finishing schedule advise for maple daybeds.

Nelson Howe
08-30-2013, 8:03 PM
I need to finish a pair of daybeds. Essentially they are six maple ply boxes trimmed with solid maple. Total is about 200 square footage. I will spray in my garage, and I'm not set up for volatile products. I have used Target em6000 in the past and have been happy with it.

Is there an advantage to laying down an initial coat of em1000 sanding sealer before the em6000? It is slightly cheaper--though not enough to be significant. It appears the selling point has more to do with its advantage of being clear in the instance of wanting to add color. I'm not certain yet, but I don't think I want to color the finish. If at all, it would only be to warm it up slightly.

Would it make sense to lay down a coat or two of em1000, then one or two of the em6000 gloss for build, followed by a final coat of semi-gloss or satin so I don't have to rub it out by hand? I usually work in smaller scale, solid wood projects where I am happy to rub out. But I need to just get this one done.

Any suggestions as to the amount of product needed would be helpful as well. My understanding is that ballpark coverage is 400 square feet per gallon. Sound right?

Thanks,

Nelson