PDA

View Full Version : coconut water?

Wade Lippman
08-30-2013, 2:51 PM
Anyone like this stuff?
I bought some Vita coco. It tastes like milk thats just starting to turn rancid.
Is it supposed to taste like that, or has mine gone bad?

I don't want to return something just because I don't like it, but it is hard to believe anyone would like it (i would say the same about brussels sprouts, but my wife likes them and she also thought this was foul)

Jay Jolliffe
08-30-2013, 2:57 PM
I think you might of got some bad water. I drink it a lot & it doesn't taste like rancid milk. It should have sorta a sweet taste & not taste like milk.......Take it back.

Dan Hintz
08-30-2013, 2:58 PM
It tastes like coconut-tinged ultra-skim milk to me (which itself tastes like white water). Nothing special, but not rancid. I tried it once or twice, that was enough for me.

Jim Rimmer
08-30-2013, 2:59 PM
Here's a google link I found: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120408212022AAy8S7J
All kinds of comments on taste from soap to dirty water to you'll get used to it.

Raymond Fries
08-30-2013, 3:13 PM
Does it have a "Best if Sold By" date on it? That might tell if it is to old.

Tim Janssen
08-30-2013, 7:42 PM
I tried it once and it sure tasted awful and sure did not taste like any coconut liquid straight out of the coconut.
cheers,

Tim

Gordon Eyre
08-31-2013, 3:32 PM
I kind of like it, both from the coconut and from the box.

Erik Loza
08-31-2013, 9:38 PM
Swear by coconut water (I'm a cyclist who sweats a lot...). Wy wife does not care for it, however. You either like it or you hate it, I guess. I buy Zico brand because it's what they sell at Costco but all brands taste the same to me.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Wade Lippman
08-31-2013, 10:00 PM
Okay, I guess I just hate it. Thanks all.

Jason Roehl
09-01-2013, 7:04 AM
I've never had commercially-produced stuff, but I have had it straight from a fresh coconut (they'll be green/yellow and smooth on the outside, not the hairy/barky brown we often think of). I liked it. It's also good for recovering from, uhhh, some "underage indiscretions." Nothing like a loosely-chaperoned school trip in a country that doesn't really care about their drinking age of 18...

Malcolm Schweizer
09-01-2013, 8:13 AM
I live in the Caribbean and drink it all the time. It should have little bits of coconut floating in it, which freaks people out if they don't know to expect it. I like the Goya brand because it is pure coconut water. Some add stuff to it but other than pure cane sugar, I don't really like stuff added. If you are thirsty it is a great quick pick-me-up. The natural sugars give you a little boost, but not like drinking that chemically brown fizzy stuff some folks drink. It just revives you. What you describe does NOT sound like coconut water. It should be clear, with little white bits of coconut floating in it. I think Vita Coco has cane juice in it, which can make it almost bitter.

The next Caribbean thing to try is pure cane juice, made from pressing sugar cane. It is really sweet (no surprise) and for some almost too sweet. There is a guy at the farmer's market that makes it fresh. Because the sugar is not refined, it isn't as bad for you as you might think, but it probably isn't the greatest thing for you.

If feeling bold, try sour sop. It is a local fruit. Goya does sell it in cans and maybe a specialty store will have it. Give it to your kids to make them sleepy.

Another local drink, maubi, is made from tree bark, much like making sassafras. It's kind of bitter. You can also ferment it and make it slightly alcoholic.

Now if you really want to be Caribbean, try Goat Water- a soup made with stewed goat, chopped up bone and all. Don't knock it til ya tried it. It's really good. Now we will move you on to some bull foot soup and oxtail soup. Oh man, you'll be dancin' like a mocko jumbie in no time.

Jim Matthews
09-01-2013, 6:31 PM
Wasn't there a recent study that put Chocolate milk (http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/healthy-eating/superfoods/chocolate-milk-after-workout/) near the top for
a replenishing drink, after workouts?

Sometimes I think this stuff is sold on positive connotations, rather than anything like Science.

Jason Roehl
09-01-2013, 6:38 PM
I live in the Caribbean and drink it all the time. It should have little bits of coconut floating in it, which freaks people out if they don't know to expect it. I like the Goya brand because it is pure coconut water. Some add stuff to it but other than pure cane sugar, I don't really like stuff added. If you are thirsty it is a great quick pick-me-up. The natural sugars give you a little boost, but not like drinking that chemically brown fizzy stuff some folks drink. It just revives you. What you describe does NOT sound like coconut water. It should be clear, with little white bits of coconut floating in it. I think Vita Coco has cane juice in it, which can make it almost bitter.

The next Caribbean thing to try is pure cane juice, made from pressing sugar cane. It is really sweet (no surprise) and for some almost too sweet. There is a guy at the farmer's market that makes it fresh. Because the sugar is not refined, it isn't as bad for you as you might think, but it probably isn't the greatest thing for you.

If feeling bold, try sour sop. It is a local fruit. Goya does sell it in cans and maybe a specialty store will have it. Give it to your kids to make them sleepy.

Another local drink, maubi, is made from tree bark, much like making sassafras. It's kind of bitter. You can also ferment it and make it slightly alcoholic.

Now if you really want to be Caribbean, try Goat Water- a soup made with stewed goat, chopped up bone and all. Don't knock it til ya tried it. It's really good. Now we will move you on to some bull foot soup and oxtail soup. Oh man, you'll be dancin' like a mocko jumbie in no time.

When we lived in Taiwan in the early '80s, my parents would occasionally buy some fresh sugar cane. It would get chopped into ~1/2" slices, and you could chew on that for a treat. I didn't care for it at the time as a 7 year old or so due to ending up with a mouth full of fibers, but looking back, I'd probably like it now. The coconut water I had when we lived in Brazil in '89-'90. THAT is something I totally miss, along with a number of other local flavors.

Erik Loza
09-01-2013, 7:11 PM
Wasn't there a recent study that put Chocolate milk (http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/healthy-eating/superfoods/chocolate-milk-after-workout/) near the top for
a replenishing drink, after workouts?..

Yes, chocolate milk is a legit post-workout drink but for a different purpose. You would want to drink chocolate milk after strength training, to get protein on board fast, while coconut water is strictly for re-hydration.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA