PDA

View Full Version : Tool gloat

Mark Engel
08-29-2013, 7:51 PM
I just lucked into this on eBay.

The seller didn't know much about planes and had it listed as a No.7. There weren't many pictures, so I took a chance.
It turned out to be a No.6. Can't really blame him though, since they didn't cast the plane number into the bed of the planes in 1869.

So here it is, a nice No.6, type 2.

Dave Beauchesne
08-29-2013, 8:18 PM
Not bad for 150 or do years old!!

Nice photos, but more important, how much??

Great score BTW.

Dave B

Jim Koepke
08-29-2013, 9:10 PM
There are still some deals out there.

Looks like it could be a good user. :D

jtk

Frederick Skelly
08-29-2013, 9:59 PM
Thats neat Mark!

don wilwol
08-30-2013, 7:45 AM
its always great to find the pre-laterals. I had a #8 in my hands yesterday, but at $300 I passed.

Matthew N. Masail
08-30-2013, 7:51 AM
Nice!! I got to play around with a few old planes the other day... I like their feel much better than the new ones I tried! (haven't tried LN or LV)

Mark Engel
08-30-2013, 8:31 AM
I'm not sure what to do with this one yet.

It looks like the tote is not original, although the brass stud is longer the the stud on the knob. It sticks up a bit above the top of the tote.

The knob has a very small bead at the base, you can feel it more than see it.

The rest all seems original. All except that small chip at the back side of the mouth. I'm pretty sure that is aftermarket. :D

don wilwol
08-30-2013, 8:53 AM
If you become interested in trading it off let me know.

Karl Andersson
08-30-2013, 10:50 AM
"the brass stud is longer the the stud on the knob. It sticks up a bit above the top of the tote"

Did you check to see if the brass stud head is screwed all the way on? On later versions at least, it is a 2-piece stud: a brass cylindrical head screwed onto a steel shaft. I had a similar problem on a type 8 recently until i realized the crudded-up threads on the top end of the steel shaft were stopping the brass piece about halfway on. But maybe that was a later development...

Jim Koepke
08-30-2013, 11:16 AM
All except that small chip at the back side of the mouth. I'm pretty sure that is aftermarket.

Does the frog slide back enough to be behind the chip at the back of the mouth?

My thoughts was that might be filed back a bit if the frog can go back that far.

jtk

Jim Koepke
08-30-2013, 11:26 AM
In the early models there were different brass nuts used for the knob and the tote.

The earlier totes were counter bored deeper.

They also were a lot fatter at the base:

The one on the left is a type 11, the one on the right is a type 6.

Mark's most likely was replaced at one time.

jtk

Mark Engel
08-30-2013, 12:35 PM
"the brass stud is longer the the stud on the knob. It sticks up a bit above the top of the tote"

Did you check to see if the brass stud head is screwed all the way on? On later versions at least, it is a 2-piece stud: a brass cylindrical head screwed onto a steel shaft. I had a similar problem on a type 8 recently until i realized the crudded-up threads on the top end of the steel shaft were stopping the brass piece about halfway on. But maybe that was a later development...

I did check the stud. It is just short of 3/4" and it was screwed on to the threaded rod as far as it could go. I found another barrel type stud that was shorter and put it into the hole in the tote and it sat flush with the top of tote.

FYI, when looking for another stud to test this, I found eight studs in my parts stash in four different lengths.

Mark Engel
08-30-2013, 12:39 PM
Does the frog slide back enough to be behind the chip at the back of the mouth?

My thoughts was that might be filed back a bit if the frog can go back that far.

jtk

The chip in the mouth is ~1/8 deep from the back edge of the mouth. I can move the frog back far enough to expose the entire chip. What would be the reason for filing the mouth back? I was thinking that it probably would have no effect on use since the chip is behind the cutter.

Mark Engel
08-30-2013, 12:46 PM
In the early models there were different brass nuts used for the knob and the tote.

The earlier totes were counter bored deeper.

They also were a lot fatter at the base:

The one on the left is a type 11, the one on the right is a type 6.

Mark's most likely was replaced at one time.

jtk

On the Rex Mill pictorial type study the longer brass stud is only mentioned once, with a picture, for the type 2.

As Jim says, I am fairly certain that the tote is a later replacement, but still using the original stud.

It also looks like the knob may be a later replacement. There is a ring around the base of the knob, but not what I would call a bead.

Jim Koepke
08-30-2013, 1:33 PM
There is a ring around the base of the knob, but not what I would call a bead.

I think this varied during production to some extent. After all, they were most likely turned out by hand in the beginning years.

jtk