PDA

View Full Version : Why do I have pink ribbon nailed to my lawn?

Wade Lippman
08-29-2013, 7:35 PM
I mowed my lawn today and found a folded over (so it is a 1" square) fluorescent pink plastic ribbon nailed to my lawn. It is about 6' from the lot line so it can't be a survey marker, and the utilities are 20' away. It wasn't there 10 days ago. What the heck could it be? If it is a prank, it is pretty lame.

Chris Kennedy
08-29-2013, 7:39 PM
Could it be a breast cancer ribbon?

Mel Fulks
08-29-2013, 7:45 PM
Public right of way areas vary widely even in same area of town .Sometimes there are special easements ,too. Some of what
most of us consider our property is actually part of public right of way . I would call local government and ask about it.

Curt Harms
08-30-2013, 7:45 AM
I've seen similar in asphalt driveways. I have no idea what they mark or signify.

Bill Edwards(2)
08-30-2013, 8:19 AM
Aliens! Definitely aliens!

Mike Cutler
08-30-2013, 8:26 AM
It sounds like a survey marker. It may not mark any boundry per se', but may have been used a point of reference to shoot another line.
I have multi colored ribbons in the back yard as a result of an A3 survey done a few years back. I've never figured out what the different colors represent. I think their probably flood lines and inland wetlands lines.

Wade Lippman
08-30-2013, 10:19 AM
Town says they have no specific knowledge of it, but presume it is a survey marker.
Well, it isn't doing any harm I guess, but it seems strange surveyors have the right to trespass and leave stuff behind.

Matt Meiser
08-30-2013, 10:30 AM
Sounds like the markers they put down the "centerline" of all the gravel roads around us when they did the survey for natural gas line installation. I say centerline because, as it turns out, the centerlines of our gravel roads aren't centered in the easement which cost the gas company a ton of money because they ended up having to drill a lot of the pipe instead of trenching. :eek:

20' could be the utility easement assuming we're talking about the distribution lines. Or at the front around here property lines start at the road centerline, but of course there's a pubic easement for the road and ditches. Or the property lines could not be where you think it is. Or someone else's survey might say the property lines are in a different place than your survey.

Steve Peterson
08-30-2013, 11:29 AM
It sounds like a temporary survey marker, possibly to mark where a survey crew placed the tripod. Permanent markers have markings on them and are heavy enough to actually be permanent. I think you are free to remove it and get back to woodworking.

Steve