PDA

View Full Version : Fallen Sissoo tree... turning blanks?

Jared Walters
08-29-2013, 3:00 PM
There was a nasty storm last night at my parents house and their fiarly large sissoo tree blew over. It's probably about 25-30 feet tall (but I'm not good at eyeballing these things). I guess it was planted in fairly soft soil because it completely uprooted (it didnt break). My parents were going to see if it can be planted back into the ground, but if not they were just going to give it away to someone on craigslist. I asked them to hold off on that while I do some research because it might be valuable for turning blanks.

Opinions? Not sure what I should do. I don't need the wood myself, but I don't want to see my parents give away something potentially valuable for free when it would only take an afternoon to chop up.

Don Orr
08-29-2013, 3:03 PM
That should be a type of rosewood (Indian Rosewood)-Dalbergia sissoo I believe. Should make for some nice turning stock-or even (gasp) boards.

Mike Cruz
08-29-2013, 3:09 PM
...or even (gasp) boards.

Don, you are now banned from the Turning Forum!

Jared, IF the tree is some sort of rosewood (I really have no idea, and will defer to others), I'd do the following: Cut the tree into turning blanks (bowl blanks, HF blanks, pen blanks, bottle stopper blanks, and peppermill blanks. Sell the blanks to either your local turning clubs for "your time" (don't concentrate on the value of the wood), and if you need to, on Ebay/CL. Then maybe at the holidays, give your parents 1/2 of the proceeds. It might be worth your time.

Roger Chandler
08-29-2013, 6:51 PM
great wood for turning! Don't let it go to the landfill or even to the sawmill..........some turners in your area would no doubt like to have some!

Dale Gillaspy
08-29-2013, 7:19 PM
Where are you at??? We had some big storms last night, too. Yes, Sissoo is a rosewood and great turning. Looks something like a cross between Mesquite and Carob, with a little box elder red on occasion. LOVE turning it.

Dan Hintz
08-29-2013, 7:27 PM
Don't forget to throw some under leaves and let it spalt...

Jared Walters
08-29-2013, 7:44 PM
They are on the northern edge of the Phoenix metro area. I live right in the middle of it about 30 miles away. They had much more intense weather than we did I guess.

Mike Cruz
08-29-2013, 9:18 PM
Um, Phoenix, AZ...not sure how much they have in the way of leaves, shade, and humidity for spalting... Of course, I could be wrong.

Jason Clark2
08-29-2013, 9:29 PM
Dale is on the north/west side. I'm on the East Side. Kathy is on the far west. We're all members of the AZ Woodturners and know about 150 others locally.

Dan Hintz
08-30-2013, 7:26 AM
A piece of plywood for shade, some lawn clippings, and a bucket of water every day... instant spalt pile for $10 and a few months of splashing once a day. Cover with tarp if it dries too quickly.

David E Keller
08-30-2013, 9:43 AM
It's beautiful turning wood... Similar to cocobolo but not quite as dense. The sapwood might spalt, but I don't think it's worth the effort... East Indian Rosewood doesn't need anything like spalting to jazz it up. BTW, don't forget about the crotches...

Jamie Donaldson
08-30-2013, 11:37 AM
150 turners and only 1 tree, that's not a very good ratio!

Steve Mawson
08-30-2013, 1:13 PM
150 turners and only 1 tree, that's not a very good ratio!

Add one more as I am in Phoenix now however I have to fly home on a passenger plane. Doubt I could afford the baggage charge. Next time cargo plane perhaps.