PDA

View Full Version : Need help with designing face frame for doors - custom built in cabinet

Lincoln Myers
08-29-2013, 1:45 PM
Hello Creekers! Wow, it's been a while since I've posted and lurked here. Great place to trade ideas and share.

I'm reaching out to the collective wisdom. I need to design a face frame for some doors I already have. I have 4 maple doors (dumpster dive from about 10 years ago :) that I want to use in a built in cabinet that will hide our sump pump. I have 4 doors 2 narrower and 2 wider that are shorter than the cabinet framing so I will look to place some drawers above them. Thing is, I don't know where to start to calculate the dimensions of the face frame so the doors can be mounted as desired.

Cabinet face dimensions:
63" wide
43.5" tall

Doors:
2 - 17.5" wide x 29.5" tall
2 - 11.5" wide x 29.5" tall

I'm going to attempt to upload some pictures so you can get a better idea of what I'm trying to do (worth 1,000 words)

Thanks!
Linc

Alden Miller
08-29-2013, 3:22 PM
If I read this correctly you are going to need a minimum of 15" of stiles plus two times whatever overlay you are using for your doors (for each door).

So, if you use 1/4" overlay on each door side your total stile width would be 19". Divide that however you want to give yourself your preferred spacing between the doors.

-Alden

John TenEyck
08-29-2013, 7:14 PM
My math is different. 63" - (2 x 17.5 + 2 x 11.5) = 5" You can figure it out from there by knowing how much your hinge overlay is, plus the spacing between each door. You can do it with just math, or you can lay it out on SketchUp or another drawing package, or you can lay it out full scale on a story stick. Hint: A story stick is the fastest, most foolproof way.

John

Alden Miller
08-30-2013, 8:09 AM
Your right John, too quick off the top of my head.

Given that spacing I'd skip the center stile between the two narrow doors.

-Alden