PDA

View Full Version : I made a wooden compass

Peter P. Brown
08-29-2013, 12:05 PM
with power tools. I wonder how the Neaderthals will be able to digest that? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbQFHitcUn8

Thanks for looking

Gus Dundon
08-29-2013, 2:28 PM
That's really nice man! If you have power tools, you can do a lot of things.

Mort Stevens
08-29-2013, 4:02 PM
For some reason my mind thought it was something that was going to point north! :)

Dave Zellers
08-29-2013, 6:22 PM
For some reason my mind thought it was something that was going to point north! :)
Me too. And without any metal!

Still cool though. Years ago I made a 3 foot bevel square to help me with a job I did. Kinda reminds me of that.

Ray Newman
08-29-2013, 6:53 PM
Very good and a nice way to develop and hone shop skills.

Larry Fox
08-30-2013, 8:20 AM
Cool project, and like others I thought it would point north. However - when I was watching the video the question "what's up with that dude's sawblade / TS alignment" did pop into my head. Lots of burning there - is that typical or were you using an old dull / dirty blade?

Charles Wiggins
08-30-2013, 11:29 AM
I made this one almost 20 years ago out of some scrap SYP. The pencil is wedged in place with a drywall screw. Not as pretty as yours, but functional. I also have a large caliper out of red oak.

Peter P. Brown
08-30-2013, 2:09 PM
Cool project, and like others I thought it would point north. However - when I was watching the video the question "what's up with that dude's sawblade / TS alignment" did pop into my head. Lots of burning there - is that typical or were you using an old dull / dirty blade?

Thanks

Yeah, I haven't worked much with cherry it seemed to burn just by looking at it. I guess I needed to raise the blade a bit more.

Peter P. Brown
08-30-2013, 2:10 PM
I made this one almost 20 years ago out of some scrap SYP. The pencil is wedged in place with a drywall screw. Not as pretty as yours, but functional. I also have a large caliper out of red oak.

Sweet. I wish I'd seen that before. I like that angle for the pencil!