PDA

View Full Version : Auto warranties, and other stuff.

Rick Potter
08-29-2013, 4:02 AM
I have a 2005 Ford F250, with the 6.0 diesel. Turbo has been acting up for a couple years, but no one could figure out why. Recently it won't start when warm. My mechanic diagnosed that as the high pressure oil pump that makes the injectors work. Apparently this pump also feeds the turbo. When he got it apart, he found the oil pump had a zip tie inside, partially chewed up, and the oil screen was partially clogged. The turbo had overheated, scoring the shaft which broke when he took it apart. some vanes were also stuck, and there was rust inside, from who knows where. The truck just turned 50K miles.

Good news......I have an extended warranty I bought through my credit union.

Bad news...........The bill is over $4,000, and the warranty company won't cover it. They say the rust invalidates the warranty. I say it was caused by the oil starvation. They say that isn't covered because of the zip tie, the source of which no one knows. I say I maintained the truck and have the receipts, and certainly never put a zip tie in there. They say.....tough, we don't cover it.

Now I look up General Fidelity Insurance Company....complaints, on the internet, and up pops "101 reasons to not buy from them", or whatever it was called....all unpaid claims.

Question: Does anyone know of an agency I may be able to get some satisfaction from?? I know about 'BBB', but that is all.

It has been an interesting month, first the roof blows off my desert cabin, and it is costing twice as much as I paid for it to fix the roof. Then, while the roof is off, it rains out there for the second time since Noah built a boat, with flash floods and everything, and the weather reports show thunderstorms till next Thursday. Then my dog gets killed by a coyote or a raccoon. Then we go to Phoenix to take a grand daughter to start college, and check on my daughters rental condo and have to buy a new refrigerator for it, and while we are there, our condo (got it reeeeal cheap) develops a leak in the water heater and floods the bedroom carpet. Two days of regular shop vac treatments along with fans and a new water heater. The wife gets two root canals that don't take, then has the same two teeth pulled, all within a couple days...separately. Oh, yeah. She and I also made and installed the boxes for seven cabinets that range from 8" deep to a file cabinet. They span 25', and go around the outside three corners of a bay shaped kitchen area. We need to make the face frames in place, because it is so weird.

I must be getting old, need a nap.

Rick Potter

Jim Matthews
08-29-2013, 7:11 AM
I think this is the week to buy a lottery ticket.

You've used exactly zero luck, this past month.
I believe your warranty denial is grounds for filing small claims.

Bonnie Campbell
08-29-2013, 10:46 AM
Might want to check with Ford on the turbo problem. A friend has a Ford turbo diesel and he found out, after the same type of problems, that Ford will reimburse his cost because it was their defect. Don't know the details on his, but sure sounds like yours.

George Bokros
08-29-2013, 11:37 AM
At 8 yrs old I doubt Ford will stand behind his.

Duane Meadows
08-29-2013, 2:00 PM
At 8 yrs old I doubt Ford will stand behind his.

Oh, I don't know. They just last summer put a new sub frame in our 12 year old at the time Windstar. Won't know if you don't ask!

Rick Potter
08-29-2013, 5:37 PM
I will certainly ask. Can't hurt.

Rick P