PDA

View Full Version : Wood counter tops

Stephen Cherry
08-28-2013, 10:16 PM
I'm looking at the alternatives for counter tops for my kitchen, considering wood. I really like to cook, and wood seams to me to be a very friendly alternative and repairable alternative. I like all the high dollar options, granite, the manufactured stone. Even Formica. But wood seems like the most accommodating surface.

Has anyone lived with a wood counter? One alternative that I am considering is recycled bowling alley. It would take a little work, but they are pretty cheap. Or Ikea has decent wood counters at reasonable prices.

Jamie Buxton
08-28-2013, 10:22 PM
There's two downsides to wood counters, mostly near the sink. First, you can't have an undermount sink. IMHO, an undermount sink is a big deal in a kitchen. You can just sweep stuff -- water, food bits, whatever -- into it. Second, wood counters near sinks tend to get enough water on them over the years that they look pretty bedraggled pretty soon.

A nice compromise is to use slab stone around the sink, and wood elsewhere. You get good looks and durability in both places.

Jim Matthews
08-29-2013, 7:17 AM
With proper installation, good seals and reasonable care - why not?

I've got tile over plywood and the tile is a constant chore to clean.
I've seen very expensive stone counters chipped and faded.

Wood looks good (http://www.glumber.com/wood-countertops/wood-kitchen-countertops/).

jack forsberg
08-29-2013, 7:26 AM
A nice compromise is to use slab stone around the sink, and wood elsewhere. You get good looks and durability in both places.

I agree wood in prep areas only. Here is one i did with woods ,soap stone and marble.

Mike Wilkins
08-29-2013, 8:31 AM
Do a search in the FineHomebuilding site. There was an article in 2011 or 2012 about wood countertops with lots of tips, tricks and other info. With the right timber, a wood counter top is beautiful.

Art Mann
08-29-2013, 8:52 AM
I think wood counter tops are beautiful. But, I have never met a person who had one for any length of time who would do it again. When it comes to moisture and wear, wood just won't hold up like laminate or solid quarried surfaces. It might be worth but you need to talk to people who have actually lived with it to hear what you are getting into. Maybe a combination design like Jack pictured would be good.

Jeff Monson
08-29-2013, 8:59 AM
I built my own maple counter tops. They have held up very well, just keep the knives away from them. I did an undermount sink also, no issues with water so far. I finished mine with waterlox, the finish has been outstanding thus far.

Stephen Cherry
08-29-2013, 8:59 AM
Maybe a combination design like Jack pictured would be good.

Thanks guys, this would probably be the best solution.

Art Mann
08-29-2013, 3:04 PM
I built my own maple counter tops. They have held up very well, just keep the knives away from them. I did an undermount sink also, no issues with water so far. I finished mine with waterlox, the finish has been outstanding thus far.

I am curious as to how long your wood counter tops have been in service.

Jeff Monson
08-29-2013, 5:12 PM
I am curious as to how long your wood counter tops have been in service.

3 years Art

Joe Isley
08-29-2013, 6:17 PM
Go with wood. I had a house with cherry wood floors and wood vanity tops in the bath room. I had this house for eleven years and no problems.
My house now has cherry tops around my tub. My wood shop has poplar counter tops in my bathroom. I used just plain spar varnish on that, several coats. No problems.
Don't be scared. Go for it, you'll love it.
Hey guys, don't you wipe up the standing water on counter tops?

Joe

David G Baker
08-29-2013, 10:45 PM
I processed film and photographs in a large sink that I made from marine plywood and 2"x4"s that were covered with polyester resin, it lasted for years. It had a drain at one end and was frequently rinsed with running water. Wood would work for me if it was coated with something that would protect it. This was over 30 years ago and I bet that new products would work much better than the way I did it.