PDA

View Full Version : Getting Ready for Some Shows

Michael Armstrong
08-28-2013, 9:34 PM
I'm trying to build inventory for some Fall shows. I've been asked for earring stands so that is what I've been working on the past few days. When I had stands at shows before I was asked a few times about double ones so I decided to add those into the mix. Here are a few finished ones bit there are a number that are partially turned. I don't like making them from only one wood species and I find one of the toughest things is to decide which woods to put together.
My daughter did ask for a double stand all from purpleheart. The single stand is spalted maple and ebony.
This single stand is padauk and cherry and the double is birdseye maple and walnut.

Of the 2 double stands I like the proportions on the purpleheart one the best. Although on both double stands the top posts are shorter than the bottom ones, the purpleheart one is the shortest and looks the best to me.

Thanks for looking and C&C is welcome and appreciated.

Michael

Harry Robinette
08-28-2013, 10:23 PM
Looking really good hope you come home with none.

Kathy Marshall
08-28-2013, 11:57 PM
Nice job Michael! If I had to pick a favorite it would probably be the spalted maple and ebony. Nice spalting on the maple and the ebony make a very nice contrast to it.
Good luck at the show!

Perry Holbrook
08-29-2013, 7:01 AM
Michael, would you mind sharing your price points?

Michael Armstrong
08-29-2013, 12:33 PM
Looking really good hope you come home with none.

Thanks Harry. I hope so too!

Nice job Michael! If I had to pick a favorite it would probably be the spalted maple and ebony. Nice spalting on the maple and the ebony make a very nice contrast to it.
Good luck at the show!

Thanks Kathy. I agree with you about the spalted maple one. It is probably my favourite wood to turn things from.

Michael, would you mind sharing your price points?

Perry:

Pricing is always difficult. I live in a mostly rural area and it never ceases to amaze me what my little city will support and what it won't. That being said, I have priced the single stands at $30 and the doubles at $45. These of course are in Canadian dollars. It is the drilling of all the darn holes that takes the fun out of turning these and takes all the time. I've even involved my wife to do the drilling so I can concentrate on the turning.

Michael

Peter Fabricius
08-29-2013, 3:51 PM
Very nicely done Michael,
I hope you sell them all!
Peter F.

John Teichert
08-29-2013, 3:59 PM
Indeed, those are quite nice Michael. Now I'll have to do some for Christmas.

Dan Masshardt
08-29-2013, 9:34 PM
At those prices, you should sell them all and come home with orders. They are really, really nice.

I can see how the holes would be no fun.

Michael Armstrong
09-01-2013, 9:57 AM
Very nicely done Michael,
I hope you sell them all!
Peter F.
Thanks Peter. I'm hopeful these will be popular enough for Christmas gifts.

Indeed, those are quite nice Michael. Now I'll have to do some for Christmas.
Thanks John. The turning really is the easy part. It is those darned holes that make them work to do.

At those prices, you should sell them all and come home with orders. They are really, really nice.

I can see how the holes would be no fun.
Thanks, I hope you're right Dan.

Michael

Tim Rinehart
09-01-2013, 11:56 AM
Nice work Michael. I've only made one of these, and they are potentially tedious with the drilling, even with the drill jig.
i like the Purple Heart double also, but I think it's because of the shape of the inner pedestals. I do like the idea of a double, I'll have to try that. Thanks for some inspiration, hope the shows go well for you.

Michael Armstrong
09-13-2013, 10:02 PM
Thanks Tim.

And here is a photo of the collection of stands. I'll see how these sell before I make more. I wanted some earrings to hang from them at the show to make sure people knew what the are. I have buckets of acorn caps ready for doing some castings I thought I'd use those and turn some acorns. They aren't perfectly matched but I challenge you to go out and find 2 identical acorns. Nature isn't that perfect.:D

Michael